Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

highfive.gif
W4W, I hate all the pics of me... who is that witchy looking lady??? we're too self critical. and we should get over it!
hugs.gif

You mean that's really me?
hit.gif
I always blame it on the camera!
lol.png

What type is betty? I will take some pics tomorrow for you all.

Betty is a Barred Rock (or BR). I have one too. They are quite the characters, friendly, but can be kind of talkative. If you stay on this thread, I'm sure Roger will pop up and say something devilish. She's also a BR and kind of the thread smartas mascot.

Here's my girl Spot, tawwwwkin' away!

Cute story here... While Rumples was in the nest setting on her eggs, Si would go in and try to get into the nest with her. Since it is a small nest, Si started to move the plastic egg from the nest next door and place it in front of Rumples and then proceed to lay her own egg in front of Rumples. Yesterday, I saw that Si had jumped the fence into the broody pen. I panicked and ran outside. I couldn't let her hurt the chicks and Rump is in no condition to protect them. Si was just walking around uninterested in the chicks, but when I removed her from the broody pen, she had a fit! She wanted back in!! Over and over, she searched for a spot to enter. Also... she kept going in and out of the coop. I thought she wanted to lay, but would come out of the coop...no egg. Today, while I was with Rumples, Si snuck in behind me. She looked at the chicks and then walked into the box I put in the broody pen. She layed down... pulled pine shavings in and laid an egg in a matter of minutes. For some reason.... Si wants to be near Rump when she lays her eggs. Maybe she would be a good Auntie for them. I will give it a supervised try tomorrow after work.

My chickens follow so closely I have to shuffle when I'm outside for fear of stepping on them. But there is nothing like having them free range and going outside and they all come running, flying to you. I know it's for food but I love it!!!

Welcome Jennifer!!!!!! This thread is great and full of helpful information!

Back
Top Bottom