Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

10 today from the reds!

1 from the ducks!

0 from the silkies (blah)
C Lindz did you buy your bator or build it? My DD is wanting to hatch some duck eggs and I don't know whether I want to buy or build.
thumbsup.gif

I wouldn't bother with building an incubator unless you're the type that wants to tinker and you feel like hatching several times to correct little problems with your setup. If you just want to hatch the occasional eggs here and there you're probably better off buying one. I asked around and it turned out a friend of a friend had one I could borrow so you never know, try that.

Last edited:
Scrambles: There are lots of tutorials on how to build an incubator. Incubator ware house has both the wafer and the bimetal thermostats for not much money. A computer fan can be bought from a computer repair shop for very little money. The rest of the materials can usually be scrounged at home. If you're comfortable re-wiring a lamp, you can build an incubator. It's a fun project and you can have a forced air bator for less than $25.00. The only fudging I needed to do was put in some tin foil baffles to direct air flow. First hatch was 5/6 with an early quitter. Second hatch was 20/28 with one cracked, and 3 early quitters.

Ahh lazy Gardner where were you a month ago? Poor PM was building a bator and us folks here were clueless to help!!

Of note, I have no idea how to wire a lamp.

In fact I painted a ceramic Christmas tree that has a light and the light came in pieces....yeah, no idea what to do!!!

Thankfully my selling of my chickies that hatched covered part of the cost cause unfortunately it was more than $25!!!!

Eggs are in the bators!!!!!

I can't take all of the credit on the wiring. Hubby is real handy with electrical stuff, even so, we fried the first computer fan, and had to get an other one. Luckily, those are real cheap! If I had to do it now, I am confident that I could make an other one. There's a guy who has an excellent video tutorial on how to do the wiring. His name is Rush something or other. (? Lane) I may get to practice my wiring skills this spring. I found a dorm size refrigerator at the dump, and have a new thermostat just waiting to go into a new incubator. I could hatch a LOT of chicks in that size bator. But, won't commit to hatching, unless I have folks that want to buy chicks.

Well I broke down and bought a bator today. We have it set up and running to get the temp and humidity stabilized. So I'm thinking in a few days we will have 6 khaki Campbell ducks eggs in and going. I wish the blue Swedish would start laying so I can get more of them.

So last night a neighbor gave us some dungeoness crab (one of my favorite things ever) and I got all excited and gave them a dozen eggs as a thank you - which was almost all the eggs I've got at the moment. Today the we got 1. :rolleyes: Sigh.

Last edited:
So last night a neighbor gave us some dungeoness crab (one of my favorite things ever) and I got all excited and gave them a dozen eggs as a thank you - which was almost all the eggs I've got at the moment. Today the we got 1.
roll.png
Sigh.
Think you got a really good deal. You know you will get more eggs as time passes but how often does crab meat drop from the sky?

Back
Top Bottom