Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Lilac and her Dad, free ranging - they are among the entire flock... but Royce kept her safe from the big fat hens of the Dome... the Fosters don't bother the chicks, they live in the same pen... different sections, but still, they only have chain link between them... so she is my only large fowl pullet for the season
hmm.png
so wish I had a better gender ratio. Lilac is an EE, so she may not start laying until January, but I'm hoping to see her first green egg in December, then I have the bantam Silkie mix pullet, she probably won't lay until the end of March, '15...

Lilac and her Dad, free ranging - they are among the entire flock... but Royce kept her safe from the big fat hens of the Dome... the Fosters don't bother the chicks, they live in the same pen... different sections, but still, they only have chain link between them... so she is my only large fowl pullet for the season
hmm.png
so wish I had a better gender ratio. Lilac is an EE, so she may not start laying until January, but I'm hoping to see her first green egg in December, then I have the bantam Silkie mix pullet, she probably won't lay until the end of March, '15...
Very nice!

Royce is very handsome. I wish I could have a roo. It is cold and windy here. I am thinking that winter is not a good idea. Lets stay with Fall.
Time to give the girls some watermelon and some mindless tv for me.
pop.gif

ronott, they are beautiful!

evemfoster, your pullets are lovely too! the one called Moly or Molly... looks very much like one of my hens, who has been one of my ultra fave's since day 1, lo those many years ago now... lol. she's 2.5... she was my first blue egg layer, but she could lay tan for all I care, she is gorgeous and her personality is precious - she still chirps like a chick. I've never heard her sing the egg song or cluck like a grown hen. kinda funny...

Yes its Molly, my spell check is out. She is a favorite but a little skittish, I have been trying to win her over by giving her mealworms one at a time. In the last couple days she has started taking them from my fingers. So that makes me believe i she will become more friendly.

most pullets do become a bit more settled once they start to lay. even my most skittish girls will let me touch their feet. some want nothing to do with having their feathers stroked... but if they all will eat from your hand, you're doing great!

x 2 !! She is beautiful. Do you have any pics of her as a chick? I'm trying to figure out what color fuzz turns into which color feathers.

We lucked out I took this one with my camera. My cell lost all the other photos of the chicks in cyberspace.

From left to right. Red sex-link Mycroft, and EEs Molly and John

Last edited:
my Isis looked very much the same as a chick, golden fuzz with blue tips and highlights, dark head, Blu was so similar but with a golden head, I have pics of mine to dig up if needed... but the blue was prominent from day 2 when they arrived.

my Isis looked very much the same as a chick, golden fuzz with blue tips and highlights, dark head, Blu was so similar but with a golden head, I have pics of mine to dig up if needed... but the blue was prominent from day 2 when they arrived.
cheeka I was just looking at your photos it is amazing how much your Isis and my Molly look alike. Its like Molly took a road trip.

Back
Top Bottom