Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Thanks everyone. Can you tell I am excited??

I guess mine are free range as they do have a large run, but I have not let them roam free. I am still a little afraid they won't come back. I have had to chase down dogs and horses in the past and I am not too excited about the idea of chasing chickens. Will they come back?

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone. Can you tell I am excited??

I guess mine are free range as they do have a large run, but I have not let them roam free. I am still a little afraid they won't come back. I have had to chase down dogs and horses in the past and I am not too excited about the idea of chasing chickens. Will they come back?

Thanks again!
they will come back to their coop at night. Sometimes you need to leave them locked up in their coop for three days to set their homing instinct.

Chickens are very good at this.

It's true. Technically if your birds have somewhere they can go outside, they're free range even if they never set foot out there. I'm sure plenty of birds in so called "free range" commercial operations have plenty of birds who never managed to get outside because of all the crowding and stuff. Us "chicken people" do tend to talk about free range more in terms of being let out to wander outside of confinement. But even then...I'll say I let the birds free range when what I mean is I let them run around my .3 acre suburban yard. That's not exactly without confinement I suppose, but it's a change of scenery from the run, even if they do only hang out under the deck most of the time.
there is a free range site on here at the top just type in free range and it comes up, there are pros and cons about if they are free range, i never let my chickens go beyond the fenced in chicken run, they do not eat grass, they cleaned that up within one week of being in their new yard. i have to many animals run wild here and they would clean my flock out in one day.

Well, if that doesn't brighten a person's day, I don't know what will. Adorable!

Hey guys! I wanna turn in my adult card and get my teddy bear and blankie back!
We had to be at the hospital at 730 yesterday for Abby's surgery. She did well but is really sore and grumpy. Then I ended up in the ER last night until midnight with the 2 year old having trouble breathing. They think it is just a virus that is causing asthma symptoms. So she is on breathing treatments.

In chicken news my sister in law forgot to let them out yesterday morning so they spent the biggest part of the day in the coop..... with no food or water. Ugh. She had some errands to run and took Kelsey with her. They got home about 30 minutes before we did. Oh well. I did get 8 eggs and then they got extra goodies too!
My youngest has viral induced asthma with episodes of bronchitis. Very traumatic... for the parents! Breathing treatments at 3am... bringing back unfun memories. Got so I could tell when it was coming on, start treatments, and avoid the bronchitis. Luckily he outgrew the worst of it by 2nd grade. Hard to watch them suffer. Rather go through it myself. Hang in there Mom!
hugs.gif

I know that those of us that use a run don't claim to free range. However, when people bragged about the eggs in the store being free range, I always had to set them straight about the definition, and that my girls really did get outside, and they had grass. Even if I had to put it in there myself or they ate the grass through the fence.
I've heard the term pastured used to describe birds that are out on grass. Don't know if there is any official definition though.

D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
FIVE!!! Yay.... I will post a picture as soon as I find my phone.

I also sold my first dozen eggs.
yesss.gif
wee.gif
I asked for $2 and she gave me $5. That made my day!! I am not trying to make a profit. I just want to keep the girls in PIE....

That's awesome Scramble55! So you got a $3 tip. I charge $3 for mine, because I know that they are better than store bought eggs, but I want people to be getting a good deal at the same time. I have one neighbor that always tries to give me $4. Sometimes I try to give it back to her and sometime I just keep it. It keeps life fun! Haha.

Back
Top Bottom