Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

So what breeds do you have? i know each country have standard/native breeds. I wonder if our chickens is similar to yours. They are smaller than US breeds but larger than bantams. Got some pictures of your birds?
I don't like our original breeds but they are smaller and skinnier , and some of them are so beautiful but very expensive , I love the big breeds so I'm in love. With the fatty breeds like the orpingtons, Sussex, Brahma, Kirly, Silky, Cauchin

Hello everyone. Greetings from Asia Pacific. I hope you don't mind me joining you with your discussion.

i started reading this thread since the other day and i find it really interesting and funny.

Like you guys, i have a big heart for chickens. I love them! one day, i was watching youtube videos and i got fascinated with Chickens from the US because they are large fowls and very adorable. I searched thru google to check if they are available here in my country and to my surprise, one American imported some eggs, hatched them, breed them and he's selling them!! Yay!! I know i am not supposed to bring chickens in my pad but i'm dying to have orpingtons! (I ended up having 3 different breeds. Lol) So i broke the rule. I registered in byc to contact the seller. After a week (longest week ever!) i finally got my chickens. then i started reading forums and it's fun! I hope it's ok to share my stories too.
smile.png

Btw, @MC, i hope things get better.

Welcome! I think I know who you bought chickens from- ozexpat. I read his thread every day, but I don't often post there. He has had quite an adventure starting his flock across the sea. I'm glad you got some chickens. I have 2 orpingtons that are quite big and fluffy. They are growing slowly, though, and haven't started laying eggs, so I am still waiting. What other breeds did you get?

Welcome!  I think I know who you bought chickens from-  ozexpat.  I read his thread every day, but I don't often post there.  He has had quite an adventure starting his flock across the sea.  I'm glad you got some chickens.  I have 2 orpingtons that are quite big and fluffy.  They are growing slowly, though, and haven't started laying eggs, so I am still waiting.  What other breeds did you get?

Hi and thanks @Wishing4Wings. You are right, i got my birds from ozexpat. He is one of a kind!!

I got buff orp, bbs orp, rir and mixed breeds. now that i have these breeds, i want to add more buff orps!! they are 10 weeks old so i guess it's going to be a long wait before i get my first egg. I'm not really in a hurry but as i read posts about getting their fresh eggs, it kinda make me feel excited! Lol

How old are your orps? i'm excited to see my orps become fluffy!

Last edited:
I have a very very important question !!

Can chicks get broody or lay eggs in high places ?

Their chicken coop is a bit high , so some farmers here says the chicken will never get broody I'm high places because she knows that her babies will fall on their first time exploring after they hatch , so she would never think of having babies as long as the best is up and will not lay

Both of my chicken coops are up off the ground and the next boxes are even higher. The chickens have a ramp to walk up to the coop or steps to jump up. The chickens lay and go broody in the nest boxes, and some chicks hatched last spring. After hatch, I had to move the chicks and mama hens to a safe cage on the ground so there would be room for food and water.

One broody hen and one pretending.
Their friend wants them to come out.

They jump up steps and walk up the ramp.

The nests are in the lower part of the box.

2 broody Seramas.

Sharing a pen.

Sharing chicks.

Hi and thanks @Wishing4Wings . You are right, i got my birds from ozexpat. He is one of a kind!!

I got buff orp, bbs orp, rir and mixed breeds. now that i have these breeds, i want to add more buff orps!! they are 10 weeks old so i guess it's going to be a long wait before i get my first egg. I'm not really in a hurry but as i read posts about getting their fresh eggs, it kinda make me feel excited! Lol

How old are your orps? i'm excited to see my orps become fluffy!

Mine are about 6 months now. I have to get better pics, but these were from a month ago.

The cuckoo is very fluffy. I will try to get better pictures. They have grown since.

Your RIR and the mixed breeds will probably be better layers than the Orps, but they won't be as fluffy!
smile.png

Mine are about 6 months now. I have to get better pics, but these were from a month ago. The cuckoo is very fluffy. I will try to get better pictures. They have grown since. Your RIR and the mixed breeds will probably be better layers than the Orps, but they won't be as fluffy! :)
I love those pics! Unfortunately, My RIR won't lay an egg bec he's a roo. I want to have a rir hen though.

Last edited:
@MotorcycleChick you are in our prayers! So sorry to hear your news. We will miss you. Be patient... you never know what good things life has yet in store for you!

Welcome!  I think I know who you bought chickens from-  ozexpat.  I read his thread every day, but I don't often post there.  He has had quite an adventure starting his flock across the sea.  I'm glad you got some chickens.  I have 2 orpingtons that are quite big and fluffy.  They are growing slowly, though, and haven't started laying eggs, so I am still waiting.  What other breeds did you get?

Lol W4W we had the same idea, I just read your post right after I posted a link to Oz's thread :)

Back
Top Bottom