Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

lau.gif
I thought that was a new member joining the thread, but I couldn't see them!

I got a 3 month golden feather by winning a caption contest. Saw your name on the request thread earlier today, and they had put your title on at that time. I'm subscribed because I was going to add a title, but it will just be gone in a few weeks, so decided not to bother. You have to be a Platinum member to be able to change your title whenever you want. Who knows, maybe when mine expires, I might not be able to stand the ads and will just pay for one. On the other hand, I am very cheap.
tongue.png

I saw that it is cheaper to get the gold feather, and then get the platinum. Odd.
Eta, only about 6 inches or so of snow here. We didn't get slammed like we were supposed to. The beginning, you were supposed to get about 2 feet here.

Last edited:
6 inches??? I wish! Try 16!!! I'm in Shamokin, Pa. 3-6 was our forecast too. Sometimes I get very annoyed by weathermen. I mean seriously. What other job can you have where you're wrong 50% of the time and still have a job? I have to keep remunding myself how capricious Mother Nature is and forgive them lol. Our girls were NOT impressed with this mess. Lol, absolutely REFUSED to come out of the coop for the longest time. Wasn't until we layered the run floor with pine boughs I saved from Christmas that they finally deigned to step out. I have to figure out how to upload the vid if I can. Hilarious. Kept getting the stink-eye like I did it on purpose. Gave them a nice warm apple cinnamon oatmeal w/honey at bedtime. They suddenly became quite forgiving, lol. Altho I've never given them pie, I started making a nice warm mash of equal parts feed and oatmeal and whatever other goodies I can find to go in the pot. Usually apples and always a little cinnamon. I just love how it smells cooking lol. First time I gave that to them, I was raised to Godhood. Lol, they keep me humble tho.

I hope my fruit trees start bearing fruit soon! The plum tree does, but I was told the tree was too old or diseased. The landscaper said it just has black flies, and put some sevin dust on it. I can do that! I had some black cherries on a young tree, but something must have eaten them all. One day they were just gone.
It is the apple trees (Red Delicious and Jonathan) that I am anxious for! And the peach tree. Then I will have to put up fencing and a lock. I don't care (at this moment) if the deer eat some fruit. I care that the neighbors have no issue with picking my trees bare (or going into my garage ...).

Belle made it through her spaying, but can't reach food or water with the Cone Of Shame on, so I cut it down, sanded it smooth, but she still bumped into everything, because she really only has one eye, it was too much. besides, the other 2 knuckleheads need cones to keep them off of her, so I took it off period. she wouldn't eat or drink yesterday morning - I tried her kibble, kibble with chicken broth and rice, her favorite biscuit, Boar's Head turkey, scrambled egg... when she snubbed the meat and the egg, I called the Vet. they had me bring her in right away at no charge. Dr. Diane said she looked great, temp normal, tail wagging, incision good... so she went to get some wet food. she snubbed that too, so Diane pried her jaws apart and forced a blob in there. that did the trick! after that, Belle was happy to eat from our fingers and what a mess! all over her face and cone... but we laughed and laughed and wiped her up. she gave me 2 cans and told me that this food is almost 90% water, so if she refuses to drink, it's fine, as long as she's eating.
this morning, she's back to herself! ate her breakfast of kibble mixed with some of that good wet stuff and an egg on top (it had frozen and didn't seal up, so it had to be used asap) she took her pain pill without spitting it out as well, and is snoring very loudly in my lap.
the other 2 dogs have finally gotten the message to leave her alone, or at least be extremely gentle.

in chicken news, the flock is doing great, temps are rising, the sun is shining, and we dodged that crazy storm. not one flake flew here! for once... such a relief. we do have some snow on the ground, but it will melt over the course of the week, as temps rise to the 40's by Thursday. Mrs. Nosy's son stopped by yesterday to let me know a red fox has been prowling around her ducks and geese. he was off to hunt it, so free range is likely off the table til he gets it or drives it off. it's not the only one, so vigilance is still priority #1, and I have more fresh coyote tracks in the way back of the property...

for frostbite, I prefer Bag Balm. less water than plain Vaseline. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. good luck! the real treatment is to block all drafts, eliminate any condensation... and if necessary, bring them inside to a warmer environment.

I'd love to add some small scale fruit trees/shrubs to our gardening but I have the same problem. Neighbors. More specifically, her grand nieces and friends that come over all the time. Technically, I'd be able to do quite a bit as my half of the rental sits on about 1/2 an acre of land. But I've only got my side yard fenced (35ft*65ft) to keep my dogs and little flock safe. There are outbuildings below that I can add a cpl horses and maybe a couple goats. Landlord doesn't care as long as it's well maintained. I just don't know if I can trust those kids to stay out of things. Esp the berries, lol! I'll nvr can a thing if they discover the berry tree! Hoping maybe if I involve them enough they'll behave. It took quite a while to get them to stop harrassing my hens... We'll see. Any suggestions on smaller fruits that will fit in my little kitchen garden??

Strawberries. I know nothing about anything else. I am a city girl, I plant things and see how they grow. I honestly planted tomatoes not knowing if they grew on the ground or what. Ditto with peas.

Strawberries. I know nothing about anything else. I am a city girl, I plant things and see how they grow. I honestly planted tomatoes not knowing if they grew on the ground or what. Ditto with peas.

Lol, that's great! But that's somwtimes the best way I think. Trail and error. We've been doing the homesteading thing on a small scale. 3 yrs ago we started a veg garden. First 2 yrs failed. Location n poor soil. Last year was better but a later start and still poor spoil meant a poor harvest. Lol, what little grew, those blasted birds kept getting into. 2 yrs ago we started raising ducks n chicks for eggs. Within a month of them graduating to the coop down below, a pack of raccoons broke into it and decimated our poor little flock. This, the nite after our sweet 15 yr old Dutch passed in his sleep. Still miss the beast. Horrible wknd. This past spring we tried again. This time we built a greenhouse/coop from recycled materials up in the kitchen garden. Now NO rat b@$+@%d will get in w/o me knowing it and it will be the last thing on it's marauding little mind! Trial and error, just hate when it involves little luves. Still have guilt! I think I'll take the suggestion for strawberriers tho, they're supposed to be pretty easy to grow and I saw some white one that are supposed to be amazing!

Last year was a bad garden for me, but I still did pretty well. I just didn't know what to expect with the things that have been happening in my life. I still don't know this year, but I want to do a better job if I am going to do anything.
I actually screwed up the strawberries. The plants grew, but I never got any fruit. I will definitely try again this year.
You don't happen to have any Pekin ducks (as in hens) that you would like to get rid of, would you? I'm having a terrible time finding Pekins!

None that I'm getting rid of no. I've 2 of ea. Cayugas n Pekins. Not sure where you'd look for adults hens but I got all my girls as days olds from Chickens for Backyards. They have a low minimum order, too. 3 I think.

Back
Top Bottom