Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

Two eggs a day since I sold the two mutt pullets last Friday. All three Rocks ended up broody, and I have six chicks born Monday/Tuesday. One wasn’t broody the whole time, and isn’t a perfect mother. She does seem to have two chicks bonded to her, but she isn’t very attentive.
6388A4AA-A66C-4236-98D2-8F3B05C25500.jpeg BCB944EB-B375-43EC-B9AA-8B3F4DB31042.jpeg F28F7E88-8356-4C15-ABD5-E2392CE6D3FA.jpeg D20005F8-5DA9-470B-8F4F-DD61981F5EE9.jpeg

And then there were 9. :( Lost another member of the mob yesterday... blue Wyandotte... pretty bird but small infrequent eggs, much broodiness, and not in the least friendly. She had been broody for some time. I had been removing her from the nest and setting her outside in the sun and she took to hiding herself outside during the day, but always made it back to the coop at night, so we let her be. Yesterday hubs found her in the coop on the floor and picked her up to go back outside... and almost barfed from the smell of a nasty butt. We bathed her and found a prolapse and multitudes of maggots. :hitGot the broomstick and put her out of her misery, poor thing.
Maybe not, because I think in most cases a prolapse is a death sentence anyway.

20200527_103315.jpg

She was hiding...

And then there were 9. :( Lost another member of the mob yesterday... blue Wyandotte... pretty bird but small infrequent eggs, much broodiness, and not in the least friendly. She had been broody for some time. I had been removing her from the nest and setting her outside in the sun and she took to hiding herself outside during the day, but always made it back to the coop at night, so we let her be. Yesterday hubs found her in the coop on the floor and picked her up to go back outside... and almost barfed from the smell of a nasty butt. We bathed her and found a prolapse and multitudes of maggots. :hitGot the broomstick and put her out of her misery, poor thing.
Maybe not, because I think in most cases a prolapse is a death sentence anyway.

View attachment 2168346
She was hiding...
I am very sorry!

It can be bad for them when they go broody and will not break.

We go back up to 102F next week

Yucky. I don't miss the valley heat from my Davis years. Will get warm here, but not that hot, thank goodness. And usually cools down at night, which I love but the tomato plants don't, so mixed blessing! 🍅
Tomatoes do very well here! It is usually the top cash crop for Yolo county. Sun Flowers have be big lately too

Tomatoes do very well here! It is usually the top cash crop for Yolo county. Sun Flowers have be big lately too
Yes, my apartment overlooked a huge tomato field. Took a lot of self control to not get samples!
One time the field caught fire. Memory is fuzzy, but they must have alternated crops in the field because this was grass fire... 18 inch high dry straw. I heard it before I saw it, lots of crackling. Took the fire dept a long time to get there since Cowell Rd was actually in 2 sections and they weren't sure where to go! Got it out quickly once they got there.

Back
Top Bottom