Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I’m not sure the broodies will lay again before spring, but I’m hopeful the pullets will. I’m shopping tomorrow. Maybe I should buy eggs.:th
I lost a girl a few days ago. I don’t know why, and I think it was a pullet. One is small enough I know she’s young, but the others are more difficult to know. Regardless, it’s not a big deal. :lol: I am sure the broodies will give me a replacement or twenty.

I’m not sure the broodies will lay again before spring, but I’m hopeful the pullets will. I’m shopping tomorrow. Maybe I should buy eggs.:th
I lost a girl a few days ago. I don’t know why, and I think it was a pullet. One is small enough I know she’s young, but the others are more difficult to know. Regardless, it’s not a big deal. :lol: I am sure the broodies will give me a replacement or twenty.
I am sorry you lost one!

I will likely need to start buying eggs soon too. My 4 hens are going to stop laying soon and will likely not start backup until February

I am on my second carton of those sickly pale store eggs. :hmm Combo of too many old hens and hard molts this year. Weeks of smoke didn't help either.
Don’t they sell organic eggs where you live? They cost a little more , are healthier and taste better then the eggs from factory farming.

I bought my first carton of eggs too. Bc my neighbours had to stay in quarantine (covid) I offered them a few eggs of mine to help them out the first day. Bc mine lay little now (4 oldies 3 younger and moulting) I had to buy a small carton of store eggs 🥚a few days later. Days get short now and I get less eggs every week.This winter, I'm going to add light in the morning, but I'll wait for them to finish moulting.

Last edited:
Trader joes seems to have better eggs at a lower price here. I might get eggs from there when I need them.

I still have 3 dozen from my girls and did get one egg yesterday.

Don’t they sell organic eggs where you live? They cost a little more , are healthier and taste better then the eggs from factory farming.

I bought my first carton of eggs too. Bc my neighbours had to stay in quarantine (covid) I offered them a few eggs of mine to help them out the first day. Bc mine lay little now (4 oldies 3 younger and moulting) I had to buy a small carton of store eggs 🥚a few days later. Days get short now and I get less eggs every week.This winter, I'm going to add light in the morning, but I'll wait for them to finish moulting.
The definition of free range in the US is that there’s a door. It doesn’t mean they make it outside, or how long. Cage free allows the chickens to be packed in tighter, so no one has a beak. The orange yolk is achieved with feed, so really we have no reason to choose one brand of eggs over another.
I appreciate that you’re letting the girls molt first. :hugs My heart breaks when people, even ones I otherwise respect, just keep the birds laying until butchering at two.

The definition of free range in the US is that there’s a door. It doesn’t mean they make it outside, or how long. Cage free allows the chickens to be packed in tighter, so no one has a beak. The orange yolk is achieved with feed, so really we have no reason to choose one brand of eggs over another.
I appreciate that you’re letting the girls molt first. :hugs My heart breaks when people, even ones I otherwise respect, just keep the birds laying until butchering at two.
They are all store eggs! Yukky for sure.

On of our professors here at UC Davis raises hens for two years and that winter has a big chicken and matzo ball soup party.

Mine usually die of old age

Back
Top Bottom