Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

On a serious note. The one Comet is squatting every time i reach toward her. None of the others are doing the squat yet. All four of them are climbing in and out of the nest boxes which they have not done before. Some of them just get in there to scratch around. Still got the colored plastic easter eggs in there so they might be trying to figure out how to get candy out of them. Little jerks

I'm not really "watching them" its more of a observation. I don't think I can clean up poop blindfolded. Maybe i'll try wearing sunglasses when i'm around them and act like i'm not paying them any attention. This is getting a bit complicated.

My girls started complaining loudly when she started to lay. I got them both as pullets, so i really am not sure how old they are. They were probably hatched in February. But thats just a guess. They are red comets, or stars or something. They didnt go red first though. They actually started sitting in the nest boxes first and making a clicking rumbling sound. It might have helped that the rooster showed them what to do, or that they watched the older hens doing it. Either way, they just started laying on thier own. Frightful was first, then Crackers started a few days ago. Ive gotten 18 eggs, one from each every day so far.

Just think how hapy you will be once they do lay :) it will be soooo exciting for you!

Give the girls a lovely breakfast of oatmeal with some plain yogurt, spinach and, very important ingredient....red pepper flakes mixed in. They'll lay within a day or two.
big_smile.png
Shouldn't be too long!

thats what I do. :) just kidding. Have you tried putting an egg in there so they'll get the idea? I never tried that to get them laying, but sure works when o move a nest box and want them to lay in that or a new box. But as for watching them, I do pretend like I didn't notice :)

Back
Top Bottom