Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I don't want to hijack the thread but starting a new one seemed to much so here goes...we have five hens all born around April 1st. the Buff orps and RIRs all started laying between Aug 10th and 14th (sometimes two eggs a day!)

One hen doesn't seem to be laying at all. We had a Moran and were getting a dark brown speckled egg about every 36 hours but she died last week and now I am sure that our Wellsummer is not laying at all. We have layer feed out but I switched back to growth formula with calcium on the side today. She is a very timid hen and one of the RIR's chases her away when ever she gets too close, but there is no pecking and she roosts with other birds high in the coop. We feed cascade organic and they free range on about 1/2 acre... so between bugs and weeds and an infestation of grubs in our compost they barley eat any feed right now.

Other than a 100 foot long laurel hedge there aren't many hiding places in your yard. The Moran was and one of the RIR's still is a rouge layer so I am pretty good at finding eggs.Thew whole family searched all the possible hiding places today and did not find a single eggs. Her feathers are bright and shinny, her comb has been bright red for almost 6 weeks and her vet is moist and looks normal too.

Any one have any thought why she isn't laying?

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack the thread but starting a new one seemed to much so here goes...we have five hens all born around April 1st. the Buff orps and RIRs all started laying between Aug 10th and 14th (sometimes two eggs a day!)

One hen doesn't seem to be laying at all. We had a Moran and were getting a dark brown speckled egg about every 36 hours but she died last week and now I am sure that our Wellsummer is not laying at all. We have layer feed out but I switched back to growth formula with calcium on the side today. She is a very timid hen and one of the RIR's chases her away when ever she gets too close, but there is no pecking and she roosts with other birds high in the coop. We feed cascade organic and they free range on about 1/2 acre... so between bugs and weeds and an infestation of grubs in our compost they barley eat any feed right now.

Other than a 100 foot long laurel hedge there aren't many hiding places in your yard. The Moran was and one of the RIR's still is a rouge layer so I am pretty good at finding eggs.Thew whole family searched all the possible hiding places today and did not find a single eggs. Her feathers are bright and shinny, her comb has been bright red for almost 6 weeks and her vet is moist and looks normal too.

Any one have any thought why she isn't laying?
Born around April 1st that makes them about 20 weeks old so they are still young. Our friend cheeka here just got her first egg at 23 weeks. Give it time I think you will see eggs soon. If you want eggs earlier you might want to make them a pie.

yuckyuck.gif
pie people 101...
gig.gif

ya.gif
Pie Rules!!!!!

hi aggiemay! be patient... try pie... lol, it's coming, any time within the next hour through the next couple of weeks... it's an exciting time, and all you can do it wait... but it's so worth it!

anyway, good morning! found a Wilma egg in the nest first thing! so, it will be an interesting afternoon, I will be home early today, thank goodness! I should find at least 2 more eggs later on!

Somehow the magic number sixteen weeks became the date the hens should lay....for production hens that may be true, but I think 24 weeks is more accurate for most hens...to start laying that is. Now when they lay in the nest box depends on how good your pies are, some hens set that bar pretty high.

Do you see?
It wasn't just me.
Everyone likes to cry,
"They need pie!"
So go get your plate
And face your fate
You belong to the hens now!
Show it to them, and take a bow.
They will reward you with an egg
Henny, Penny, and Meg

I have 2 eggs so far. One was in the nest!
ya.gif
Doubt it was yesterday's hen. Too early in the morning. Here is to hoping the rest are in the box!

Somehow the magic number sixteen weeks became the date the hens should lay....for production hens that may be true, but I think 24 weeks is more accurate for most hens...to start laying that is. Now when they lay in the nest box depends on how good your pies are, some hens set that bar pretty high.
Good thing no one told me that! I was stunned Penny started laying @17 weeks. Of course ...
hide.gif
I was told someone's Barred Rocks all started laying @ 14 weeks.

One upmanship, of course. Sometimes it seems there are days when no matter what, the next person counters your post with an anti post...interesting human behavior, I can usually count on it. Personally, I loose track of the days and weeks and I know what month certain chickens were hatched in...but not exactly, my main objective is to get them to their next birthday. I must take better notes...going to get that notebook now.

Back
Top Bottom