Should I change it

chicken1328

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 20, 2014
I have wood shavings in my coop bit heated sand is good should I change it from wood shaving to sand or should I just add sand to the shavings many thanks

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

It really is your decision. I use shavings in my coop and I, personally, do not agree with the use of sand in the coop. But there are many sand users on here that will tell you that sand is the best bedding you could ever use in the coop. Sand is easier to clean and isn't as dusty. But your chickens will have to risk of crop impaction if they eat sand plus sand gets cold and hot easily.

Welcome to BYC - as Mountainpeeps says, "It's your choice." I, too, have always used wood chips (or crushed corncob), but many swear by sand.

welcome-byc.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am one of those that worship sand!! Love it and will never go back to wood shavings! I use it in a COVERED run, in the coop AND even in the nest boxes!! Sand is easy to clean and maintain. It stays dry when wet, it absorbs all poop smells, keeps the flies away and the chickens love to scratch around in it. Works as grit as well. I find it wonderful to hose down in the summer time to keep the chickens incredibly cool...cool feet mean cool birds! I left shavings long ago and will never return. I do not recommend mixing sand and shavings however, one or the other.

Here is a nice thread on using sand so you can get a better idea....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Good luck in what ever bedding you chose and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I prefer fine pea gravel or course river sand. If you do decide to use sand though, do not use beach sand or fine playground sand as chicks can mistake it for food and, as Mountain Peeps says, it can impact their crops. Use a very coarse sand with with smell pebbles in it or a fine pea gravel with very smooth, small stones, and there will be no danger of impacted crops. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom