Should I clean hatching eggs?

My hen just started setting on her eggs about a week ago, the eggs are really dirty should I try to clean them or just leave it?
Another topic of mixed opinions. I think the majority of hatchers do not wash their eggs, but they don't set extrememly dirty eggs either. The most popular methods I've seen is don't wash, only set fairly clean eggs and if you do have eggs with dirt/poo, scrape off/rub of what you can.

With that being said, there are others that do wash their eggs and you will find people that swear if you use "x" to wash them that's fine. It all depends who you ask or who's answering you.

I personally do not wash my hatching eggs, nor do I incubate extremely dirty eggs.

I personally do not wash my hatching eggs, nor do I incubate extremely dirty eggs.
This.

Poo covered eggs always seem to be stinkers or oozers for us. Don't catch them in time and they become exploders.

Your broody should know the difference and might expel any eggs that won't hatch, but might do the same if you try to mess with them.

If you want her to run the course, just keep an eye out. Past that, I'd pull the nasty eggs and slip in some clean ones.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom