Should I cull my chicken

Should I cull her

• Total voters
Unfortunately the ideal time for culling has long past, but yes, any bird showing signs of illness should be, at the very least, isolated as soon as signs of illness show up. Not an easy thing to do but, unless you want and can afford to spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on a single bird, you are jeopardizing your entire flock.

Unfortunately the ideal time for culling has long past, but yes, any bird showing signs of illness should be, at the very least, isolated as soon as signs of illness show up. Not an easy thing to do but, unless you want and can afford to spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on a single bird, you are jeopardizing your entire flock.
Not every
Fowl pox heals on its own then the bird is vaccinated for life
Cocci is quite treatable

If you suspect she is ill and spreading it to others you can try completely isolating her to see if other improves and if she improves or cull her.

You don’t need to take her to the bet to be culled, there are plenty other ways you can cull her yourself. A quick google search should give you options.

https://thegardensmallholder.com/2013/12/07/chicken-colds-mycoplasma/
Bubbles in the eyes sounds like your silky came to you with mycoplasma.
Read the above article and see if it sounds right to you
I also free range but STILL offer free choice oyster shell and grit at all times. It's about the cheapest, longest lasting thing I can spend on my chickens. They will NOT eat more than they need. Prevents some heartbreaking ailments.
Also the Mite thing....most mites are so small you can not see them. Some suck the chickens blood at night and during the day hide on the perches. This can slowly run the chicken down until they die. best to take a bright light out to the coop after dark and examine each bird paying attenation to the head, vent and under the wing area. Also you can use a white paper towel in the morning and rub the perches completely and see if you get smears of dark matter on it. (Dark matter would be blood filled tick goo)
Google some images of tick and mites on chickens before you go out so you have an idea what it may look like.
Good Luck!
I hope you figure out what it is.

Not every
Fowl pox heals on its own then the bird is vaccinated for life
Cocci is quite treatable
Maybe so, however, to a novice poultry fancier, diagnosing any illness is guess work at best. In the time that someone with a sick chicken figures out what ails it, it has had all that time to transmit whatever to the rest. The only way to know for certain what your bird is suffering from is an expensive trip to a vet. I've said it before, the very best laying hen sells for around $25 in my area. A trip to the vet, 3-4 times that. Cull early and save your flock and your money.

Back
Top Bottom