should I cull or not

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jk47, Sep 8, 2014.

1. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    One of my pullets got out of the coop and I couldn't find it in the dark so the next morning I went around the property looking and well I found it and it was on the ground with a peice of wire sticking out of the bottom of its neck and I took the wire out cleaned the wound and but on blue kote and but it in the speration pen with feed and water with eletryotes the wound is a small hole and it was a clean puncture but I can tell right now if its in pain because its so hot none of the chickens are doing much so what should I do wait it out or culled it

2. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    if it is a small clean wound you should keep doing what you are doing and she should come around

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Chickens have an amazing ability to recover from wounds. Give her a chance, if she goes downhill over time you may need to be humane and cull her, but not yet.

I hope she makes a full recovery.

4. jk47

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    All right I well keep doing what am doing and all wait a week or so before culling
    That's what I like about byc it's a way for all us producers to talk and give options because I wasn't sure what to do because this Is the first time I hade had a chicken get out and eat metal to top it off the pullet is just luckily I had the day off

5. jk47

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    The hen made a full recovery just in case any one was wondering what happened

6. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island

Congratulations! Always crazy what they can survive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by