Should I cull some of my roosters already?

Chik_8

Chirping
Jan 1, 2022
I bought some sexed female chicks in August and then later ended up getting some unsexed chicks at a feed store in September. They were on sale because chick days was over and I wanted some roosters. They are now 5 months old and they are all ready mature (breeding the hens). I have 7 roos and 25 hens all kept in a fairly large enclosed run and coop, they are most of the time let out to free roam and forage when I am watching. The hens are being bred a lot and I don’t want to make them stressed with the hormonal roosters. I also would like to cull in the spring to let the roos experience some good weather before it’s there time to go. Should I let some go to free up some space and make things a little calmer? I am not even sure which rooster I would keep.

I'm right there with you. I have a 7-month cockerel that I'm keeping for now.

I have 5 Blue Australorp boys who hatched out on Sept. 21 and who need to be whittled down to 2.

I'm giving them their chance on Craigslist since they're an unusual breed, but they're due to be eaten in a month or so.
I wanted to say the same😉

Re-home them If you want to give them a chance

I'm guessing there are at least a few that you know you want to cull. Cull them now.

You have 7 cockerels and 25 pullets. Roosters and hens are over a year old. These distinctions are important in your case. Your girls are young and are likely not ready for breeding. They are probably fighting it but aren't really big enough to fight off just one male, yet alone multiple that are going to fight and try to mate the same female over and over. The pullets can very easily be injured in your current situation. Your cockerels are hormonal little jerks right now. There are no older birds to teach them manners or keep them in line. They are not only wanting to mate every female, but they are also going to be vying for a top spot in the pecking order.

Your boys have already had a good life. Animals have no concept of the future. They live in the present. You may want to give the boys a few warm days but in the meantime the girls are suffering. Don't feel bad about doing what's best for the girls. I know it's easier to say then do. I've been guilty of giving cockerels a few extra days too, but then the time comes and we just have to do it.

The roosters are young and eventually mellow out some. They probably still need to work out the pecking order. I know culling roosters in the USA is almost unheard of. It is a well known practice in the UK. From what I've heard, culled roosters are more chill and taste more like turkey when they are butchered. Could always separate the extra roosters into their own area. You have several options, it is really what you want to do.

I am not even sure which rooster I would keep.
What are your goals with having boys? Why do you want any? The only reason you need a boy is if you want fertile eggs. Anything else is personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preferences, I have a few of those myself. But those are wants, not needs.

Once you determine what your goals are and why you want a boy, start thinning the ones that don't meet your goals. If you don't know what you want it's harder to wind up with what you want. That's why I think it is important to know your goals. To me, 5 months is a great age to cook cockerels. They've reached the end of any growth spurt. They will be a bit tough and flavorful so you have to watch how you cook them but they are nothing like an old rooster. If you need recipes many of us can help.

By removing the ones you don't want first it calms things down a bit and by the time you are making your final choices it could be hard because you don't have many bad choices.

I'm guessing there are at least a few that you know you want to cull. Cull them now.

You have 7 cockerels and 25 pullets. Roosters and hens are over a year old. These distinctions are important in your case. Your girls are young and are likely not ready for breeding. They are probably fighting it but aren't really big enough to fight off just one male, yet alone multiple that are going to fight and try to mate the same female over and over. The pullets can very easily be injured in your current situation. Your cockerels are hormonal little jerks right now. There are no older birds to teach them manners or keep them in line. They are not only wanting to mate every female, but they are also going to be vying for a top spot in the pecking order.

Your boys have already had a good life. Animals have no concept of the future. They live in the present. You may want to give the boys a few warm days but in the meantime the girls are suffering. Don't feel bad about doing what's best for the girls. I know it's easier to say then do. I've been guilty of giving cockerels a few extra days too, but then the time comes and we just have to do it.
Yes, I know 3 that I do not want to keep for sure so far. It’s a done deal and I think everyone will be happier at the end of it. It’s hard especially if your like me who just started keeping chickens. It’s for my girls better. I will thin the roosters out little by little and I will keep 2 at most. Thank you so much for your feedback and it really helped me out.

What are your goals with having boys? Why do you want any? The only reason you need a boy is if you want fertile eggs. Anything else is personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preferences, I have a few of those myself. But those are wants, not needs.

Once you determine what your goals are and why you want a boy, start thinning the ones that don't meet your goals. If you don't know what you want it's harder to wind up with what you want. That's why I think it is important to know your goals. To me, 5 months is a great age to cook cockerels. They've reached the end of any growth spurt. They will be a bit tough and flavorful so you have to watch how you cook them but they are nothing like an old rooster. If you need recipes many of us can help.

By removing the ones you don't want first it calms things down a bit and by the time you are making your final choices it could be hard because you don't have many bad choices.
I wanted roosters for the first place because I wanted fertilized eggs, and also to protect my hens the best they can. Next year I want to experiment with breeding and hatching chicks. So far those are my main purposes. I also envisioned keeping the one that was the calmest and sweetest to the hens. I also heard about the mating dance a rooster can do to win a hen over but not all roosters are supposedly to do that. That’s a whole other topic I need do learn more about because so far I’ve never seen any of my roosters do that. Thank you for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom