Should I deworm just in case?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
From the point when I got my hens (from a slightly sketchy farm) they've occasionally made kind of gasping/coughing/choking sounds, especially after eating. I kind of accepted them as normal as it hasn't gotten worse over time and they've all been gaining weight as opposed to losing them (they were really skinny before) and acting healthy otherwise. Does this sound like gapeworm? Should I deworm them or leave it? All their poop is normal, egg laying is normal, breathing is normal, and they're acting energetic and haven't slowed down at all.

From the point when I got my hens (from a slightly sketchy farm) they've occasionally made kind of gasping/coughing/choking sounds, especially after eating. I kind of accepted them as normal as it hasn't gotten worse over time and they've all been gaining weight as opposed to losing them (they were really skinny before) and acting healthy otherwise. Does this sound like gapeworm? Should I deworm them or leave it? All their poop is normal, egg laying is normal, breathing is normal, and they're acting energetic and haven't slowed down at all.
What and how are you feeding them? Photos of your set-up?

A bird may gag or cough a bit after eating if they are rushing, competing for food or they just get a bit stuck.
I would make sure they have feed free choice, poultry grit (crushed granite-free choice) and oyster shell. See that they are drinking well and there's plenty of room at the feeder.

Check crops first thing in the morning before they eat or drink, should be empty.

Gapeworm is rare and your birds would not be eating/drinking or energetic. They would be stationary and gasping because they can't breath. It's not Gapeworm.

What and how are you feeding them? Photos of your set-up?

A bird may gag or cough a bit after eating if they are rushing, competing for food or they just get a bit stuck.
I would make sure they have feed free choice, poultry grit (crushed granite-free choice) and oyster shell. See that they are drinking well and there's plenty of room at the feeder.

Check crops first thing in the morning before they eat or drink, should be empty.

Gapeworm is rare and your birds would not be eating/drinking or energetic. They would be stationary and gasping because they can't breath. It's not Gapeworm.
IMG-2001.jpg

Best pic I have of setup. Pumpkin has since been broken up and added to run.

View attachment 2441058
Best pic I have of setup. Pumpkin has since been broken up and added to run.
Will regular access to grit prevent that? Would I need to restrict feed? At what point would I do that?
They have free choice layer pellets. I think that the brand is Producer's Pride.
How many birds?
I would be inclined to add another feed station, they do like to eat together, but not many birds can eat at one time from what you have.
See that the water is flowing freely. I have a similar water station like that I use for chicks, I'm really not a fan of those at all since it seems like the dish portion is not that deep. Watch to see that they are drinking fine from that.

I do suggest that you provide grit (crushed granite) free choice and oyster shell free choice as well. Grit and oyster shell can be scattered or you can place them separately in small containers attached to a post in the run - up to you.

I would not restrict feed, it can cause them to gorge even more, I think another feeder would be good instead.

How many birds?
I would be inclined to add another feed station, they do like to eat together, but not many birds can eat at one time from what you have.
See that the water is flowing freely. I have a similar water station like that I use for chicks, I'm really not a fan of those at all since it seems like the dish portion is not that deep. Watch to see that they are drinking fine from that.

I do suggest that you provide grit (crushed granite) free choice and oyster shell free choice as well. Grit and oyster shell can be scattered or you can place them separately in small containers attached to a post in the run - up to you.

I would not restrict feed, it can cause them to gorge even more, I think another feeder would be good instead.
Four birds. When I let them out of the coop into the run in the morning, they all run to the feeder and two or three can fit comfortably to chow down, and they spill a lot in the process, so one usually eats off the tray (placed there to catch food and make sure it doesn't get mixed in with the dirt) The water is flowing freely, and they seem to be drinking fine from it- I try to adjust it if it's at an angle that makes the water level low. I'm working on my grit and shell setup- so far they've knocked over everything that I've tried to use, mixing all the grit and shell in with the dirt. I'll try some different methods. I'd like to get a proper feeder, but at the moment all of my spare cash is going to Christmas gifts. I'll make another milk carton one.

Back
Top Bottom