Should I dunk her in cold water?

Bandit

Songster
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Utah
My BO has gone broody. She is sitting inside on the nest and won't come out unless I drag her out and put her by her food and water. Then I watch her stagger back up into the coop. What should I do? Should I let her keep being broody? I have heard you can dunk them in cold water to reduce their temperature and that will stop the broodiness. Seems kind of mean but I'm sure she's loosing weight and we don't have a rooster so there's no hope of hatching any babies. Advice?

I am just a newbie, but I read somewhere that you could put ice cubes in the nest to break the broodiness. I don't know if it is true or will work and I take no claims to its efficacy (but if it is a good idea, it was all my idea:D).

A lot of people here have recommended a wire cage with air under them. Provide food and water and wait a few day.

I've not had a broody yet, but that's what I've heard.
smile.png

Put her in a cage with a wire bottom. Let the cooler air (?) get under her. It may take 3-5 days.
Otherwise it will take three weeks. is It is too hot in Utah for a cool underside? maybe hang the cage over some water? I have really had it with our heat. i hope she breaks for you. Good luck.

I have three broody hens at the moment (one for the second time)...I built a cage in the run that is raised with wire bottom and a perch. I put them in there for a day or two with plenty of water and food. Then let them out. I have 'broken' all this way in a day or two.

I recommend the cage for 48hrs. I know it sounds awful- i used it as a last means after ice cubes and dunking in water- but the cage worked! she screamed, they all screamed when i put her in- just wait the tizzy fit out.

As you are learning, broodies will set even if there are no eggs in the nest.

I have blocked off the nest during late afternoon and into the night and allowed the broodie out of the cage during those hours. You may have to pick her up and sit her on the roost at night.

So, the broodie goes in the elevated cage in the morning when the nests are opened for the other birds but she still gets to run around in the evening and roost. It takes 2 or 3 days this way but, other than catching the broodie, isn't very much out-of-the-ordinary chicken keeping.

Steve

I put one in a wire cage with an open air bottom. The hen thought I was trying to keep her cooler so she could be comfortable and broody! Darn Cochins!
I tried the dunking in cold water. Again, the hen thought I was helping her cool off and went back to being broody, even though I did it for 3 days! LOL

Back
Top Bottom