Should I egg swap?

Jul 22, 2021
So I have 2 broodies in separate coops, 1 hen had 7 eggs starting out and the other had 6 eggs. One hens eggs stopped developing at different times so I removed them 1 by one and she's down to only 1 viable egg now. The other hens eggs have all continued developing normally. I set all the eggs under the hens on the same day so they should all be hatching around the same time. My question is, do you think it would be a good idea to take 1 or 2 eggs from one hen and put them under the other hen so her 1 chick has siblings to grow up with. The hen with 1 viable egg has successfully hatched and raised a clutch last year, the other hen with 5 viable eggs is a first time broody so it may be easier for her to have less babies her first time too. What would you guys suggest?

If anyone is wondering about the 6th viable egg the first time broody had, to make a long story short, my husband took over the flock this year because I just had a baby in Feb so I can't look after the flock as I normally do. Well he missed an egg while collecting them so it got a head start incubating and hatched a week before the rest. A 3rd hen has just started going broody and Idk if she was trying to steal the chick or the eggs but she injured the chick and it's now separated while it's wounds heal and the new broody has been moved to another coop while we decide if we should give her eggs or break her.

So I have 2 broodies in separate coops, 1 hen had 7 eggs starting out and the other had 6 eggs. One hens eggs stopped developing at different times so I removed them 1 by one and she's down to only 1 viable egg now. The other hens eggs have all continued developing normally. I set all the eggs under the hens on the same day so they should all be hatching around the same time. My question is, do you think it would be a good idea to take 1 or 2 eggs from one hen and put them under the other hen so her 1 chick has siblings to grow up with. The hen with 1 viable egg has successfully hatched and raised a clutch last year, the other hen with 5 viable eggs is a first time broody so it may be easier for her to have less babies her first time too. What would you guys suggest?
Yeah, you could do that.
I personally would as well.
I don't like the idea of the hen going through all that sitting time for only 1 baby. Especially if I can help it.
Then it would just be a waist of time for her.

So, I say go ahead!

Back
Top Bottom