Should I feed my hens scratch or layer feed?

Less laying is a direct response to less daylight. Chickens need about 14 hours of daylight which you can supplement with a 40 watt bulb or higher.
It is a direct response to lack of improved nutrition in the winter also. If a chicken uses most of it's nutrition trying to survive then they will not lay eggs.
I have had gamefowl laying all through the winter with no extra lighting. So with that being said chickens don't really need that 14 hours of light, it helps yes.

There is a big problem with your theory.
Yes the depletion of much needed proteins is one side affect that is if one feeds a low protein scratch.
Chickens need just as much proteins in the winter as they do in the summer, the lack of protein in the winter mean that the chances are good that there eating more feed, getting thin, and having trouble regulating there body heat (proteins produces more heat than a grain). There can be a list and a half of problem that poultry can get when forced to eat a low protein diet.
Another problem with feeding a lot of low protein scratch is that it is also high in energy, so now your birds are being fed a low protein high energy diet which can make the birds fat, poor layer, unhealthy and since chicken eat to fill a caloric need the could be not getting enough nutrition.

Have you ever done the math to figure out just how poor of a diet that is?
Here is a good example, if your feeding a average low protein layer feed say 16% protein and a average low protein scratch say 8% protein at around 50:50 by weight you would be feeding a 12% protein feed which is way low for the average backyard chicken even in the summer.
X2

Less laying is a direct response to less daylight. Chickens need about 14 hours of daylight which you can supplement with a 40 watt bulb or higher.
Right, increasing or decreasing day length is the primary determinant, though there are many others.

However, I start getting increased egg production once daylength goes over 10 hours.

Chickens don't really like oyster shell by itself, in my opinion. Mix it with their feed so they will eat it. Most layer feeds already have enough calcium in it so they do not need extra.

Then why mix it, thereby greatly increasing the 4% already in the feed.

Layer feed is sufficient for most layers however it largely depends on how many egg shells they're building in any given period. 4% may be right for a hen laying 5 eggs a week, too much for one laying 2 or 3, too little for one laying 6 or 7.
1% calcium - that in other than layer feed is sufficient for birds not building shells.

They don't eat it if they don't feel the need. They like it if they feel the need.

When I put fresh out, 2 or 3 hens in each flock will usually gobble up some.

Last edited:
I agree with others regarding Layer Feed as it has components necessary for the good health of the Girls. I use that staple year around and in the winter a light from dusk to dawn to simulate daylight. In ADDIOTION when I close the coop in the evening I spread a handful of SCRATCH as a treat.

Experts say; when the hens eat scratch grains in the evening it is beneficial in many ways. Since I have made this change, all of the hens are laying daily as they did in the summer and the eggs are solid with hard shells and deep orange yokes. In addition, I save all shells from eggs we consume and when I have a sufficient amount stored in my plastic bag hung in my exit door; I stand on the bag, crushing them in fine particles. I add the crushed shells to the laying feed as added calcium.

Works for me.

Chickens don't really like oyster shell by itself, in my opinion. Mix it with their feed so they will eat it. Most layer feeds already have enough calcium in it so they do not need extra.

Odd that that has been your experience as the flocks I have kept and those kept by others I know take it quite well on it's own. Even mixed with feed it can be easily avoided as they are quite adept at picking through feed to take choice bits of whatever is in that feed pan and reject the items they do not wants

They don't eat it if they don't feel the need. They like it if they feel the need.

When I put fresh out, 2 or 3 hens in each flock will usually gobble up some.
Agreed - I think that the fact that they don't consume it like they do feed likely contributes to the perception that they "don't like" or "never eat" it.

The idea with oyster shell is that every chicken might have different calcium needs, not if they like it or not.

I agree with others regarding Layer Feed as it has components necessary for the good health of the Girls. I use that staple year around and in the winter a light from dusk to dawn to simulate daylight. In ADDIOTION when I close the coop in the evening I spread a handful of SCRATCH as a treat.

Experts say; when the hens eat scratch grains in the evening it is beneficial in many ways. Since I have made this change, all of the hens are laying daily as they did in the summer and the eggs are solid with hard shells and deep orange yokes. In addition, I save all shells from eggs we consume and when I have a sufficient amount stored in my plastic bag hung in my exit door; I stand on the bag, crushing them in fine particles. I add the crushed shells to the laying feed as added calcium.

Works for me.

Whatever works. I agree with most of what you say except for a few points.

Dusk to dawn light? As in, no dark period? All animals need a dark period. Most add light to make total day length 12-14 hours.

No problem saving the egg shells and a good source of calcium but like oyster shell, shouldn't be mixed with feed. The smaller particle size makes it even more sure they're getting excess Ca and unable to choose.

The deep orange yolks comes from carotenoids in their foodstuffs. Chickens are unable to synthesize it so it ends up coloring the yolk.
That would be greens and orange or yellow vegetable products, not calcium.

Whatever works. I agree with most of what you say except for a few points.

Dusk to dawn light? As in, no dark period? All animals need a dark period. Most add light to make total day length 12-14 hours.

No problem saving the egg shells and a good source of calcium but like oyster shell, shouldn't be mixed with feed. The smaller particle size makes it even more sure they're getting excess Ca and unable to choose.

The deep orange yolks comes from carotenoids in their foodstuffs. Chickens are unable to synthesize it so it ends up coloring the yolk.
That would be greens and orange or yellow vegetable products, not calcium.
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom