Should I feel guilty for having chickens when my neighbors dogs kills my chicken?

You are all WAY too nice. Personally, I'll keep my critters on my property and I expect neighbors to do the same. As soon as one of your critters set foot on my property then the neighbor is 100% responsible for their actions and any damage they might cause. Here in Ohio, State law backs that up also. I don't care why or how your beloved pet got out of your control. If it is on my property and so much as looks at my livestock cross-eyed, it is a target. If it harms any of my livestock, the neighbor will absolutely pay damages and replacement costs. I'm really not a mean person and I love my pets and my livestock. However, my livestock is a huge investment in time, money, emotion, etc. They are a source of food, money, and entertainment.

If pet owners actually cared for their pets as much as they claim, then they would ensure they remain under their control. Your beloved pet might just be playing. However, tell that to the $5,000+ horse that was being chased and broke a leg when it stepped into a hole or the cow/bull that was run to death by your playful pooch. Or the flock of sheep. Depending on the breed/pedigree, you can get into some huge numbers really fast. Chickens may not have the same high price tag but the principle is the same, they are still livestock. And heaven forbid your beloved pet gets loose, doesn't come home, and takes up with other strays. I've dealt with packs of wild strays. They have no fear of people. There are few things more scary or vicious.

Yes, it is the OP's responsibility to take measures (coops, tractors, runs, etc) to protect her flock. However, it is 100% the dog owner's fault that the chickens were killed. Neighbor needs to pay for the replacement of all birds killed, vet bills for any injured, and reasonable damages to cover loss of food and income while replacements are being raised to productivity. He also needs to be told the dog has two strikes, the next one will be its last one.

I'm so sorry for chicken
1f62a.png
1f62a.png

I view the responsibility as being with both parties. When you own any animal you should do your best to protect them from intrusions to the yard/space they will inhabit. As a dog(or any other animal) owner, one has the responsibility to make sure that dog cannot harm other animals or property. It is the dog owners responsibility to keep them on a leash when not on his own property and ensure he cannot escape his property.

When someone 'free ranges' chickens on property that isn't fenced, they could get loose and kill any smaller pets just like a loose dog could come and kill your chickens. They also can potentially damage someone else's garden etc just like they do to mine
smile.png

centrachid: I didn't wrongfully accuse my dog. She knows what she did and so do I.
hmm.png
If you meant that it was my fault for letting her have the opportunity to chase my chickens, then yup, it's true.

Last edited:
Just because they are free ranging does not change the fact that they are on their property. Yes, the flock owner should be putting in measures to protect them from other wild critters and the elements. However, the FAULT still lies 100% with the dog owner. Like I said, I'll keep my critters on my property and you keep yours on your property. If you can't keep your dog on your property and if they come on my property and harass my livestock then I will do my best to end them. I am under no obligation to keep YOUR critters off my property. It is 100% your responsibility to keep your critters from leaving your property or your control.

Nothing I said indicates that it doesn't work both ways. If my livestock gets off my property then I am fully liable for any damage they cause. It is my responsibility to keep my livestock on my property.

As I alluded to, livestock trumps pet and people trump both. And, at least here in OH, that is how the law sees it as well. If your "beloved" pet dies while harassing or killing livestock, the pet owner has zero recourse for compensation and is automatically liable for all damages.

Blaming the livestock owner for the actions of their neighbors pet ranks up there with blaming a woman's choice of dress for some POS rapists actions. A bit of a drastic comparison but again, the principle is the same. The flock/flock owner did nothing to warrant or even justify being attacked.

I view the responsibility as being with both parties.  When you own any animal you should do your best to protect them from intrusions to the yard/space they will inhabit.  As a dog(or any other animal) owner, one has the responsibility to make sure that dog cannot harm other animals or property.  It is the dog owners responsibility to keep them on a leash when not on his own property and ensure he cannot escape his property. 

When someone 'free ranges' chickens on property that isn't fenced, they could get loose and kill any smaller pets just like a loose dog could come and kill your chickens.  They also can potentially damage someone else's garden etc just like they do to mine :)

I think you have every right to expect your neighbor to keep his dog on his own property, but it sounds like you are guilty of the same thing, except you are fortunate there was no incident with your dog on his property. While I agree that this is your neighbor's liability, when you take on the care of living things, it is up to you to provide reasonable protection.

You had a close call with his dog before, so it isn't unreasonable to think it could happen again. Fault is one thing and responsibility is another. Your chickens rely on you... Would you really feel safe putting your chickens' safety in the hands of someone else and hope for the best? At the end of the day, I'd rather have live chickens than try to comfort myself with the fact that my chicken is dead but I am in the right.

I totally respect how you feel and there's nothing wrong with being a nice person. We need more people like you, not less. I would start keeping my own dogs on my property and set up some sort of barrier so that I can have peace of mind that my chickens are safe regardless of thoughtless neighbors. And don't be afraid to go over and let him know how you really feel.

Blaming the livestock owner for the actions of their neighbors pet ranks up there with blaming a woman's choice of dress for some POS rapists actions. A bit of a drastic comparison but again, the principle is the same. The flock/flock owner did nothing to warrant or even justify being attacked.
This comment is ridiculous, incendiary, and vile.

As a flock owner, it's your responsibility to protect your animals. The neighbor's dog shouldn't be killing your birds, but if the neighbors dog can get to them, so can every coyote, fox, stray dog, raccoon, and other predator within a couple miles. Chickens are prey animals - everything eats them. Pretending that they'd just be ok if your neighbor's dog would stay out of your yard is absurd naivete.

Chickens are not people. Dogs are not people. Coyotes are not people. Assigning motives and blame to them is ridiculous.

Chickens are not people. Dogs are not people. Coyotes are not people. Assigning motives and blame to them is ridiculous. 

I will assign motives. Being self aware and having the ability to adjust ones behavior for self benefit is far from a human only characteristic. Most people, including yourself, at times engage in behaviors suggesting either a lack of sentience or the lack of ability of recognize it in others.

Back
Top Bottom