Should I fence off 5 acres?

Oh good, you've got this! ;)

It will be great to be on the land and see how it actually is at different times of year.

Woodworking is wow! We are do it yourself-er's too. And I can't stand to pay someone else to do what I can do equally as well if not better. And the rewards of sweat equity and pride of ownership far outweigh that frustration. Plus, let's be real... I ain't about to step foot into the gym. :pop :lau So having the animals and crops is how I maintain not only my (in)sanity :p, but also for the most part my motivation and health/fitness. And I love sharing the fruits of my labor with people who otherwise cannot get the same quality even if they were willing to pay for it. Some varieties of things simply won't make it to market. :drool

A whole new location too? I've done that. Same thing, no new animals the first year for us. And since I'm pretty far north and very wooded, learning the shade pattern throughout the seasons was important.

If you haven't bought real estate before I strongly urge you to find and use someone with GOOD knowledge of the area you are buying in and their laws/rules related to such. Just make sure you don't get taken. Having good water and percolation are important. Visit during the nastiest of storms type thing.

Sounds like a nice plan and I hope it goes smoothly for you and becomes everything you wish for and so much more! :D

i would fence off your five acres if you can afford (like others said), where i live everyone here uses barbed wire fences to keep there animals in (mostly cows and horses), it does fail to keep the predators out though, coyotes just crawl under the fence and the deer jump over it, (and the moose go through it lol and just break the fence which is really annoying) so use what you can afford and what will work for you.

also like others said watch for the predators you will have to deal with, and ways to solve the problem, i see your in Europe so my ways will not work (i just try and trap the predators but we only have wild ones, mostly just weasels, raccoons and coyotes.) but i do know trapping is mostly banned in Europe form what i have read. (but i see you mostly have to deal with cats and dogs which should be easy)

well i hope your journey goes well and best of luck to you :)

Here is a photo of the property, this is about a quarter of it

06751562775984.jpg

Back
Top Bottom