should I follow thru with animal control complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no reason to hide the dog when a dog is shot attacking the chickens....

Legally you are correct. But you could still end up $pending large amounts of ca$h defending your legal right. Shovel and Shutup resolves that problem.

I've never had a dog kill any of my birds. That's because my property is fenced, my yards are fenced, and birds do not range unless I'm home. Since you can't shoot the irresponsible dog owner, it isn't the dog's fault and shouldn't be shot. The idiot owner will likely just buy another dog, and the problem continues. The dog is just being a dog. Nothing to debate there. SSS is parroted on here to sound cute, but it is a coward's way out, immoral, and most of all illegal. Surprised that tripe is allowed here.

I'd catch the dog. If the dog has tags with the owner's number, I'd call the owner to come pick up his dog. If not I'd call animal control to pick it up. Humane Society/Animal Control usually fines owners for that. If he comes over to get the dog, I'd have a witness with a camcorder when he shows up, get the camcorder going, and I'd warn him," This is the last time I will call you about this dog. If the dog shows up again on my property, I will surrender the dog to animal control, and you'll be in legal hell. Do you understand?" The chances are you won't see that dog again.

That so-called "ordinance" in your area sounds like BS to me. The OP needs to research that.

Honestly if I were your best friend id tell you not to shoot someones dog.
1. The dog really knows no better.
2. You can get sued. My dog is worth almost $3000.00
I am sure you can be sued for much more. Emotional damage caused by the killing of the dog.....you can just imagine the story. And noone is going to pitty the chicken over a dog..... except we the people of backyardchickens. Americans love they're dogs. Btw I treat my dog like a **** dog. ;)

You want to get the owners attention....since the law doesn't seem to care? Take the dog for a while.
Let the owner come looking for it. When the occasion comes that your neighbor comes to get it tell him how you've fallen in love with the stray and can't believe the blessing it is to now have such a great chicken defender in your hands. Tel him its not his dog, his dog was on his porch an hour ago. Find some nice bowls and pretend you just bought them for the dog and tell him the dog food is in the shed, if he'd like to recommend that brand or should you buy steaks for the dog as you've read a raw meat diet is really good for them ( true btw).
The look on that mans face will be priceless!

Taking the dog would be theft which carries criminal penalties which I would find more worrisome than being sued for hurting someone's feelings (aka butthurt).

It appears that the OP has gotten sufficient guidance. Threads on this topic often spiral downward and little more can be gained from the conversation. Local laws differ regarding the right of livestock owners to take lethal means in protecting their animals. Check your local laws in these instances. There are assumptions being made on both sides of this issue.

Time to bring down the curtain here. Thanks to all who participated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom