Should I free range in the winter?

most days I let mine decide. I keep the doors closed if the wind is blowing into the barn.
I plan to throw straw out on the south side of the barn if needed. Usually mine, given the choice, do not go out for very long if at all, but they have a huge well lit barn to run around in. Minnesota

We have a snow-blower so we make paths when the snow is THAT deep. Usually, if some grass can be seen, a few daring birds will eat as much as they can (for it would be a rare treat) and walk around some. I leave the doors open so they can decide.

If the blower isn't going to be used, I let the birds romp around in the run. I take a shovel and move most of the snow to the outside of the run/as far back as I can, so they can at least move around a little.

Now, if we're talking blizzard weather, I leave ducks and chickens in. I keep the door closed to prevent as much chill as possible, and move the water and feed into the coop. I try to avoid this, though, because when they get too bored, they start to fight.

Back
Top Bottom