Should I get a goose?

Valhalla Acres

Songster
Jul 13, 2017
Deer Creek IL
For a while now I have been thinking of purchasing a goose or two. We currently raise/breed chickens, pheasants, quail, and call ducks. We have a lot of open space and resources to build a new pen if needed. We have a private lake next to our house as well. However, we train our hunting dogs by the lake and I don't think that would end well if we let geese on the lake. Anyway, my questions are: What is a good beginner goose breed? How big should their pen be? How big of a water source should I give them? If I get one goose, will he/she be lonely(should I get more then one)? Are there any other tips I should know before possibly getting a goose?

Hello :frow
My experience with geese is a bit limited but I will say deffinetly get at least 2 so they wont be lonely.. they are very social creatures. If you intend to have a gander, reserch traing.. My first one Vyxin imprinted on me and I thought it was just the cutest thing, till I he was becoming dominate in his mind due to how we were handling him. Luckily I had help from @Pyxis and was able to change his mind since he was still young. He's a well behaved fella now with a lovely hen of his own... as far as shelter and water, my 2 have a stall in my barn they come and go from including an outside fenced area they share with a pony, so quite large but I dont know the measurements, they also have a kidy pool and love it. I do my own grain mix that has worked out well for me and mine but an all flock or grain specifically for waterfowl should be fine.. Pyxis may have a better suggestion for you on this..
Well, Ive managed to ramble on and don't know if Ive been much help..:gig
One last thing.. this is a good thread about handling geese, it helped me out a lot as well...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/

Hello :frow
My experience with geese is a bit limited but I will say deffinetly get at least 2 so they wont be lonely.. they are very social creatures. If you intend to have a gander, reserch traing.. My first one Vyxin imprinted on me and I thought it was just the cutest thing, till I he was becoming dominate in his mind due to how we were handling him. Luckily I had help from @Pyxis and was able to change his mind since he was still young. He's a well behaved fella now with a lovely hen of his own... as far as shelter and water, my 2 have a stall in my barn they come and go from including an outside fenced area they share with a pony, so quite large but I dont know the measurements, they also have a kidy pool and love it. I do my own grain mix that has worked out well for me and mine but an all flock or grain specifically for waterfowl should be fine.. Pyxis may have a better suggestion for you on this..
Well, Ive managed to ramble on and don't know if Ive been much help..:gig
One last thing.. this is a good thread about handling geese, it helped me out a lot as well...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/
Sotoes like a heap of useful information to me.:clap

Back
Top Bottom