Should I get a goose?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Valhalla Acres, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Valhalla Acres

Valhalla Acres Songster

Jul 13, 2017
    Deer Creek IL
    For a while now I have been thinking of purchasing a goose or two. We currently raise/breed chickens, pheasants, quail, and call ducks. We have a lot of open space and resources to build a new pen if needed. We have a private lake next to our house as well. However, we train our hunting dogs by the lake and I don't think that would end well if we let geese on the lake. Anyway, my questions are: What is a good beginner goose breed? How big should their pen be? How big of a water source should I give them? If I get one goose, will he/she be lonely(should I get more then one)? Are there any other tips I should know before possibly getting a goose?

2. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN"

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    @Fields Mountain Farm
    Can tell you about her geese.
    The only thing I know about them is like any other waterfowl you shouldn't have just one they are flock animals and yes, a single goose would be lonely. :)

3. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Beyond Poultry Dome

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    Hello :frow
    My experience with geese is a bit limited but I will say deffinetly get at least 2 so they wont be lonely.. they are very social creatures. If you intend to have a gander, reserch traing.. My first one Vyxin imprinted on me and I thought it was just the cutest thing, till I he was becoming dominate in his mind due to how we were handling him. Luckily I had help from @Pyxis and was able to change his mind since he was still young. He's a well behaved fella now with a lovely hen of his own... as far as shelter and water, my 2 have a stall in my barn they come and go from including an outside fenced area they share with a pony, so quite large but I dont know the measurements, they also have a kidy pool and love it. I do my own grain mix that has worked out well for me and mine but an all flock or grain specifically for waterfowl should be fine.. Pyxis may have a better suggestion for you on this..
    Well, Ive managed to ramble on and don't know if Ive been much help..:gig
    One last thing.. this is a good thread about handling geese, it helped me out a lot as well...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/

4. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN"

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Sotoes like a heap of useful information to me.:clap

5. Fields Mountain Farm

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    I hope so..:fl
    Sotoes???:lau:lau

shawluvsbirds and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. Valhalla Acres

Valhalla Acres Songster

Jul 13, 2017
    Deer Creek IL
    Thank you for the helpful information! I will do as much research as possible, but this has been very informative!

7. Fields Mountain Farm

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    Hopefully Pyxis will stop in later with more...
    Oh, and @Miss Lydia would have some good advice as well no doubt!
    Keep us posted on what you decide please.. :)

shawluvsbirds and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Valhalla Acres

Valhalla Acres Songster

Jul 13, 2017
    Deer Creek IL
    I will keep you posted! Thank you!:D

Fields Mountain Farm likes this.
  9. Fields Mountain Farm

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    :highfive:

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

As for a starter geese I wouldn’t choose Emden or Chinese. Maybe Toulouse or Sebastopol? Great info I second!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: