Should I get a polish chicken

:welcome!

There's not really 'good' or 'bad' breeds, it all depends on what you're looking for. For instance, if you want a bird mostly for eye candy, then polish are for you. But they aren't the best layers, and they aren't very good for free ranging because their crests impair their vision so they can't see predators. In an environment where you can keep them safely in a run and you don't mind that they don't lay very large or very many eggs (there are some exceptions but you can't expect them to lay a lot of eggs for you), and you really like the way they look, then they would be good for you.

Not certain what you mean by 'good' or 'bad' breed. What traits are you looking for in a bird that you add to your flock?

Same thing with silkies. Lots of people get them and are disappointed that they don't lay much, go broody a lot, are often bullied by other breeds AND sitting ducks for predators.

They tend to be breeder favorites in terms of broody hens, and kids love them.

I have another question that is not on this topic but should I keep the light that keeps the chickens warm during the winter. I live in Georgia

Once fully feathered chickens can cope with the cold remarkably well. Often they deal better with cold rather than heat. As long as your coop is well ventilated in the eaves and draft free they should do fine in the cold. For me no I would not keep the heat lamp on them over the winter. During the winter when they slow down with egg production this gives them a break from laying which for me is a good thing for my hens. I like them to have a break so they head into spring fully recharged in the egg laying department. If you keep the light on them this will keep them laying and for me this is not a natural thing. Some keepers do give extra light during the winter months to encourage laying but it really is an individual choice.

Here are some articles on winter keeping and adding light during the winter months ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/housing-and-feeding-your-chickens

Back
Top Bottom