Should I get a poult?

Duckles

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
West Mass
I have one turkey poult alone in a brooder. He's 2 weeks old and I think he needs a friend. My fiance is about to
smack.gif
this little poult if he doesn't shut up. There is a feed store about 30 minutes away that has BR poults that are about 3 days old... Would they be safe to brood with an older poult?

They also have meat birds and I wouldn't mind if my fiance wanted to get one to brood with Buzzy then eat at Thanksgiving but I would probably only do that if a 3 day old BR really wouldn't be safe with Buzzy. I'd feel a little bad cooking his buddy.

I have a CD, a stuffed animal and a perch in the brooder for him. There is a heat lamp and he has a whole stand up shower to himself with towels for bedding. He just peeps non stop. He is imprinted and calms down when I let him sit on my lap but I don't have time to sit around all day with him! Although that would be nice...
wink.png

Thanks in advance, I know I'm worrying too much but I don't want to buy a poult and have Buzzy hurt him or just double the peeping.
hide.gif

Definitely. You might have to watch for a little while to be sure the size difference doesn't cause problems. Get him a couple of buddies and he will be more likely to shutup.

I have put several new hatches with 2 week old poults and it has never been a problem! Just watch them for a while and get 2 or 3 or 5 more!

Thanks for the encouragement... hubby ended up wanting 2
barnie.gif
We also got those little cat balls with the bell inside, they love them! ...and feather dusters. We set the brooder up in a tupperware tub with the toys and such, then set up towels on the floor around it and a sideways cement block that Buzzy likes to perch on, in case she wants to get out and wander around. This is all set up inside a stand up shower. These are some spooooiled turkeys...
love.gif

The little ones are sleepy, Buzzy's not into them and they don't care much about her.

And Buzzy hasn't shut up yet
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom