Should I get a rooster?

Baconeggsplease

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Iowa
Hello there. My wife and I are completely new to chickens. I am in the process of building a coop and will soon put in an order for chicks to arrive in July. I have done some reading on including a rooster in your flock but would like some opinions from seasoned bird owners. What are some of the pros and cons? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone had a great Memorial day. TIA

For those who have never kept poultry before, it's sometimes a smoother learning curve to start off with just pullets. There will be none of the issues that accompany having a male to try and learn to manage at the same time you're learning basic keeping skills, figuring out what works best for you, etc. As well, on the off chance you change your mind and need to sell them, it's much easier to find them a new home with no male. Another thing to keep in mind is that sexing chicks is about 90% accurate, so you may wind up with a male whether you intend to or not; allowing for that possibility, if you wind up with all girls and want a male, there is generally no shortage of extras available at any given moment. I give away extra males every year.

Because you are new to chickens, I recommend you wait until next year to think about a rooster. They completely change the dynamics of the flock and can be quite the handful to deal with.
If then you decide you want to try your hand with a rooster, get one that has been broody raised in a multi-generational flock. Those boys have gone to the school of hard knocks and have been taught manners by the senior rooster and hens. You will also be able to gauge if he's human aggressive.

It's a very individual decision, and hard to answer for you. But, some things to think about include:

--It is legal to own a rooster where you live? How do the neighbors feel about crowing.

--How many hens to you plan on having? Although there are exceptions, generally speaking it's good to have at least 6 hens per rooster, so hens don't get over mated.

--Speaking of mating . . . It's not altogether pleasant watching a rooster do his thing with the hens, particularly when he is young and randy. Some hens lose a lot of feathers on their back. It may bother you to see this.

--What is your plan if your rooster is not so nice and attacks you or a family member. Although it's not super common, it is something to thing about.

On the other hand, having a rooster (I have one) has some pluses. The biggest advantage, for me at least, that that he fertilize's my hens eggs, allowing me to hatch chicks. If you want to hatch chicks on a regular basis, having a rooster is important. If this isn't important to you, you may not want to deal with the hassles mentioned above.

I also enjoy the flock dynamics -- watching him look out for his ladies, show them the nest boxes, and search for food. I also love the sound of rooster crowing.

Thank you for the thoughtful opinions! It sounds like I would be better off waiting a year or two. Being new to this and having to small children (2 & 4) it sounds like we would be better off with just hens. We will start out with 15 chicks. Now to get the coop finished...
I think that is a wise decision. You will feel a lot more comfortable letting your toddlers enjoy your flock without a rooster around.

Disclaimer, getting a rooster will either be an experience you love like when you get a new puppy or one that you can't kick yourself in the butt hard enough to rationalise what you did or why you did it.
The outcome depends on a heap of variables and many are beyond your control entirely they are up to him.
Yep, you read correctly he's as much getting a human as you are a rooster and they can be painfully choosy.
The boys are very handy though, you won't find a better predator alarm and with fertile eggs on hand if disaster strikes rebuilding your flock is ready made.:)

Back
Top Bottom