Should I get a rooster?

boatagor

Songster
7 Years
Apr 4, 2017
Southwest Virginia
We are moving in a month from a residential neighborhood to 14 mostly wooded acres in the country. I already have poultry netting but I don't use a charger as I have never needed it. I am planning to use a charger once we move. I would love to keep my ladies as safe as possible and of course internet wisdom says a rooster will help with hawks, owls, etc. But I am nervous to get one as I don't want to deal with aggression and I'm wondering how my flock will adapt to having a rooster. I don't plan to ever hatch my own chicks as I like to hand raise them and I also enjoy picking out different breeds to try. Is there a chance my hens would be fine with an electric fence, dogs roaming the yard and no rooster? I also WFH full time and my office is going to be right inside where they will be so I'll definitely hear if there is a problem. I'm building my hatchery order and just can't decide what to do about the rooster.

You don't necessarily have to get a rooster just because you are moving into the country. Having a rooster may or not be beneficial. Some roosters are really fierce protectors and will fight off predators and others will not. Most are very good watchmen though. Without a rooster, the top hen will normally take on some of the duties a rooster normally carries.

I love my roosters. I currently have four and they are sweet as can be. I've had many roosters before and I've never had one that was aggressive to people. Certain breeds are more likely to be aggressive the others. It really just depends on the bird. I think people hear more about the mean roosters then of the sweet ones.

Just because you have a rooster does not mean you have to hatch chicks. You can still buy chicks if you wish. You can still hand raise your own chicks from your own eggs too (crosses can be quite fun!) You can incubate your own eggs and hand raise them that way.

Are your chickens and dogs used to being around each other?

It's really up to you if you want a rooster. If you feel like having one would be better, or if you just want one, go for it! If not, it is totally fine to not own one.

Nothing in the chicken world is 100% especially when you’re talking about roosters. You could get a good one or mean one. Do you like to hear the crowing or despise it? Will it help with airborne predators? Maybe, maybe not. A hawk landed in the run amongst 3 cockerels and and ate the head off one of my sweet little BCs uncontested. In their defense, they were young. Lots to think about. You may enjoy the security of knowing you can hatch your own chicks if the need arises. It will all work out either way I’m sure.

Congratulations on your move. 14 wooded acres sounds lovely. Do you have a predator- safe/secure coop for the night, and bushes or places for the hens to hide during the day? Since it sounds like you wouldn't really enjoy having a rooster, you might try keeping the flock without one and see how it goes. You could always add a rooster later.

I like my roosters, but I don't have any qualms getting rid of a nasty one. (You can get an incubator and still hand raise your own chicks....it's addicting. Of course, you are limited to the breeds you own and will have mixed breeds if you don't have seperate pens).

Sounds like a wonderful move!! I hope your family and flock settle into your new home well
:ya

From my experiences out here in the boondocks- the only time I have ever lost hens in my flocks to predation was when I free ranged them with no rooster, and even then it usually happened when I wasn’t home.
Your best bet is to just make sure you’ve done your homework on how to keep raccoons, weasels, foxes, and coyotes out of your coop.
I honestly will never go without having a roo in my flocks anymore, however, I guarantee you your girls are more than capable of watching their own tail feathers as well! If you have a bossy head honcho hen, she should take the alert alarm roll, and they’ll be just fine!

If down the road you run into problems, you could then maybe think of ways to add extra predator proof to the area.
It’s taken us trial and error, but over the years with our flock, we figured it out.
If you super are interested in Roos, I have only ever owned Jersey Giant roosters. They’re docile, gentle giants but take their job seriously. On my fourth lad right now, not a single complaint.
Don’t mess with a Jersey’s lady <3

Wishing you the best!!!

You don't necessarily have to get a rooster just because you are moving into the country. Having a rooster may or not be beneficial. Some roosters are really fierce protectors and will fight off predators and others will not. Most are very good watchmen though. Without a rooster, the top hen will normally take on some of the duties a rooster normally carries.

I love my roosters. I currently have four and they are sweet as can be. I've had many roosters before and I've never had one that was aggressive to people. Certain breeds are more likely to be aggressive the others. It really just depends on the bird. I think people hear more about the mean roosters then of the sweet ones.

Just because you have a rooster does not mean you have to hatch chicks. You can still buy chicks if you wish. You can still hand raise your own chicks from your own eggs too (crosses can be quite fun!) You can incubate your own eggs and hand raise them that way.

Are your chickens and dogs used to being around each other?

It's really up to you if you want a rooster. If you feel like having one would be better, or if you just want one, go for it! If not, it is totally fine to not own one.
I was looking into an Orpington rooster of some sort because I know they tend to be a very gentle breed. Our buff Orpington is our sweetest hen and we all love her.

My dogs and chickens co-exist well. The old man dog couldn't care less about the chickens. My younger dog will sometimes chase a hen if she gets out of the fence and he's feeling frisky, but I can call him off easily. I expect he will love chasing all of the squirrels and rabbits we are likely to have without having to stop at the edge of our yard (invisible fence). He tends to patrol around the chicken area so I think his scent may help with deterring predators.

Congratulations on your move. 14 wooded acres sounds lovely. Do you have a predator- safe/secure coop for the night, and bushes or places for the hens to hide during the day? Since it sounds like you wouldn't really enjoy having a rooster, you might try keeping the flock without one and see how it goes. You could always add a rooster later.

I like my roosters, but I don't have any qualms getting rid of a nasty one. (You can get an incubator and still hand raise your own chicks....it's addicting. Of course, you are limited to the breeds you own and will have mixed breeds if you don't have seperate pens).
There is a nice sized coop that looks well built on the property (I'm thinking it's similar to the Wichita style). I like the coop I have now better but it will transfer with our current house. There are bushes, trees, a small stream, etc and as much as I would love to free range 100%, I do plan on using the electrified fence and just moving it every few days to a new area for them. I think they will absolutely love the new property but we haven't really dealt with predators before so I'm not sure how savvy my (very fat) hens would be. I've had chickens 5 years now and I've only lost one, last year to a suspected rabid skunk. We've had hawks and a fox sniffing around but my coop is very secure and they couldn't get in. I am just really afraid of losing my girls!

Sounds like a wonderful move!! I hope your family and flock settle into your new home well
:ya

From my experiences out here in the boondocks- the only time I have ever lost hens in my flocks to predation was when I free ranged them with no rooster, and even then it usually happened when I wasn’t home.
Your best bet is to just make sure you’ve done your homework on how to keep raccoons, weasels, foxes, and coyotes out of your coop.
I honestly will never go without having a roo in my flocks anymore, however, I guarantee you your girls are more than capable of watching their own tail feathers as well! If you have a bossy head honcho hen, she should take the alert alarm roll, and they’ll be just fine!

If down the road you run into problems, you could then maybe think of ways to add extra predator proof to the area.
It’s taken us trial and error, but over the years with our flock, we figured it out.
If you super are interested in Roos, I have only ever owned Jersey Giant roosters. They’re docile, gentle giants but take their job seriously. On my fourth lad right now, not a single complaint.
Don’t mess with a Jersey’s lady <3

Wishing you the best!!!
I had been reading that the more docile roosters tend to not be as good at protecting the flock. Glad to hear you've had a different experience! I will look into a jersey giant as well.

Looks like you might have younger kids. Pass on the rooster for now. Kids are at face level to an attacking rooster. You don’t want an incident where they hate chickens. Move, get settled. Your chickens will have some age on them. That way, if you get a male or two to raise the older hens will keep them in their place. A mixed age flock is nice for that.

Back
Top Bottom