Should I get a rooster?

I always have roosters. Why? Simply because I like having roosters and now and then a hen will go broody and hatch some chicks (which I also like). I've had roosters that were nice, mean and anywhere in between. I've also had roosters that would defend their ladies and ones that would be the first to run for cover if there was a perceived threat. When it comes to protecting your hens, a secure coop is your best bet. A rooster may or may not do you any good and you have no way of knowing until he matures and is put in that situation. On top of that, IF he's willing to defend his flock, it will often be at the expense of his own life and then you have to start over with a new one. Basically, if you WANT a rooster then get one. If you don't want to hatch eggs and have no desire to get a rooster, then don't. The best way to keep your hens safe is by building them secure housing.

Looks like you might have younger kids. Pass on the rooster for now. Kids are at face level to an attacking rooster. You don’t want an incident where they hate chickens. M
That is what I thought too. Kids and roosters really can be a tough mix. Could you cull the bird if he did not work out? If you can't, don't get one.

If you get a rooster - Get one from someone like me, that has a sharp knife and the only reason he is still there, is he is such a great rooster. Like the one I have now, called Bye. He is so nice, he is getting the bye...for now.

Roosters are a crap shoot, and a lot of them are not a good rooster - truthfully with those darling kids - I would wait.

Mrs K

It is really up to you. I personally would get a rooster. They can be helpful in keeping your girls safe and of course there is the added benefit of having chicks (if that’s what you want). My rooster (a black Australorp) is very good with his girls and I have seen him warn his girls and protect them a number of times when there is a hawk around. If you are worried about getting an aggressive rooster, you can get a nicer breed. You may still end up with an aggressive rooster, but certain breeds are more known for friendliness than others. Australorps, Favorrelles, Cochins, Orpingtons and Silkies are some friendly breeds. Like I said, it is really your choice if you are wanting to get a rooster. Some people like having a rooster and others don’t. It just depends on opinion

I've tried plenty of the "calm breed" Roosters and they ALL will still try to establish the order at some point. I have a young daughter and she is quite afraid of larger roosters now because they will challenge EACH family member, not just one. So she got tired of being challenged by the larger ones and they have all since been rehomed.

If you are not going to use the rooster for breeding and want the benefits of their lookout skills and hen-wrangling, then just get yourself a Bantam rooster. I have a frizzle cochin and a d'uccle. Both are great looking little guys- they do everything a big rooster does as far as warnings and keeping them in line (all my hens are full size heritage breeds too). And best of all, if they decide to attack you, you can just laugh it off because they are so small they just can't do any damage. Even my daughter to some degree finds it funny now because she knows they can't hurt her- which then she doesn't mind "fighting back" (we're never mean, we just show them we won the fight, usually holding them upside down by their feet for a minute or so does the trick).

So that's my suggestion.

I enjoy our roosters, even the annoying ones. We’ve never had a problem with aggression to our children. We have 4 different breeds of roosters and honestly the only issue is if they get out of the coop they are much harder to get back in than the ladies. I love to hear them click to get the ladies to come over for food or the interesting sound they make when they sense danger. And that are so very beautiful. Honestly you can get one simply to enjoy him. 😊

That is what I thought too. Kids and roosters really can be a tough mix. Could you cull the bird if he did not work out? If you can't, don't get one.

If you get a rooster - Get one from someone like me, that has a sharp knife and the only reason he is still there, is he is such a great rooster. Like the one I have now, called Bye. He is so nice, he is getting the bye...for now.

Roosters are a crap shoot, and a lot of them are not a good rooster - truthfully with those darling kids - I would wait.

Mrs K

Best advice in the thread.

Don't get a rooster because you think you *should* have a rooster.

Get a rooster because you have looked at all the pros and cons and have decided that you *want* a rooster.

I always knew I'd want one because I love the sound of a rooster crowing and because I want a self-sustaining flock. I also have the willingness and ability to cull and eat unpleasant/unwanted birds.

I too have a too-nice-to-eat "oops" rooster who, if my BIL doesn't take him by midsummer, will be offered as flockmaster to someone looking for one of those too-nice-to-eat boys. His only fault is being a Black Langshan in a flock where I want to raise Blue Australorps and French Cuckoo Marans.

We are moving in a month from a residential neighborhood to 14 mostly wooded acres in the country. I already have poultry netting but I don't use a charger as I have never needed it. I am planning to use a charger once we move. I would love to keep my ladies as safe as possible and of course internet wisdom says a rooster will help with hawks, owls, etc. But I am nervous to get one as I don't want to deal with aggression and I'm wondering how my flock will adapt to having a rooster. I don't plan to ever hatch my own chicks as I like to hand raise them and I also enjoy picking out different breeds to try. Is there a chance my hens would be fine with an electric fence, dogs roaming the yard and no rooster? I also WFH full time and my office is going to be right inside where they will be so I'll definitely hear if there is a problem. I'm building my hatchery order and just can't decide what to do about the rooster.
Oh, I see SW Virginia as your location. Are you staying in the vicinity? I'm in Patrick County, relocated from the Raleigh area laye 2020.

It's been hard meeting my new neighbors during Covid, but DH and I love it here! So pretty as spring is waking everything up!

Back
Top Bottom