Should I get a second opinion on my horse’s sensitivity?

I want you to know that I usually don't follow my own advice. I can't tell you how much money I have spent on what I knew very well to be lost causes. I suggested the pain medications to simply see if they made a difference in the way he acted. If there was a big improvement while on pain meds then you would know that the issues were due to pain. If they didn't make a difference, then you should look at behavioral issues. I am no expert on horses so I really can't advise you. I wish you the best. He is a beautiful horse.
For what it’s worth, I think you had good points. I definitely get needing to make whatever decision is best for the horse and rider, I actually had to sell my last horse because we couldn’t figure out why he was explosive under saddle. Unfortunately I’m a little too stubborn for my own good when it comes to horses, especially this one. I’m not anywhere near an expert either, which is probably what got me into this in the first place, but I really want to see this through, whatever the outcome is. I’ve been fairly lucky, he isn’t normally dangerous to ride and he tells me when something is wrong before he acts out. So I guess at this point I’m just waiting for answers, and if anything happens that results in him not being opportune for riding, he’ll get to be a pasture pet. Also, I will definitely be bragging about all the compliments he’s gotten! Thank you!

Soooo…. for anyone still following this, here’s an update. Unfortunately, it looks like any plans to get him to the vet clinic are on hold, as well as training him in general. For the time being he will be mostly out of work.
I have recently had a few medical concerns, which at the moment are really impacting my health. If things go to plan, I should be up and about within a couple months, but for now that is too much to put on my plate.
Thanks for all the advice, and once I am able to get him checked out, I will update again.

Soooo…. for anyone still following this, here’s an update. Unfortunately, it looks like any plans to get him to the vet clinic are on hold, as well as training him in general. For the time being he will be mostly out of work.
I have recently had a few medical concerns, which at the moment are really impacting my health. If things go to plan, I should be up and about within a couple months, but for now that is too much to put on my plate.
Thanks for all the advice, and once I am able to get him checked out, I will update again.
Hope you’re ok :hugs

I agree with what everyone said about getting another vet to diagnose your horse. I also understand having to put that on hold due to your health. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to ensure this is one well loved ans healthy horse, that is wonderful! I have one other suggestion, and I'm not sure how you feel about natural treatments, but there is a company that is in Idaho that does herbal supplements. They were just a few miles from where I used to live and I've taken a few horses over there for help, Mickey used to do checks for reactive points on their meridians and then based on that recommend diet and herbal blends to support the horses nutritional and system needs. I like to tackle problems both with traditional vets and with herbs. The company is Silver Lining Herbs, family owned, super helpful people, you can call them and even without a diagnosis from a vet they will review the symptoms and make suggestions on herbs. This isn't a magic cure, but I have seen them really make a difference. I've used them for horses and dogs and shared their info with my friends who use them now too. It isn't cheap, about $1/day per supplement, but it is a low risk option to try in my opinion. I've treated cancer on my mares eyeball with them, low immune systems, West Nile, systemic infections, navicular, old stiff joints, etc.

They're worth some research if you're open to it. I've seen enough horses, dogs, and people positively helped by the herbs to be a firm believer in what they can do! Oh, and just last year our mare degloved her shoulder, tore through some muscles too, about 12" of stitches internally ans 18" externally. We put her on Inf-X and Immune Support, we used the antibiotics as well from the vet, she healed beautifully. She's a broodmare, and can still run just fine and has full range of motion.

I agree with what everyone said about getting another vet to diagnose your horse. I also understand having to put that on hold due to your health. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to ensure this is one well loved ans healthy horse, that is wonderful! I have one other suggestion, and I'm not sure how you feel about natural treatments, but there is a company that is in Idaho that does herbal supplements. They were just a few miles from where I used to live and I've taken a few horses over there for help, Mickey used to do checks for reactive points on their meridians and then based on that recommend diet and herbal blends to support the horses nutritional and system needs. I like to tackle problems both with traditional vets and with herbs. The company is Silver Lining Herbs, family owned, super helpful people, you can call them and even without a diagnosis from a vet they will review the symptoms and make suggestions on herbs. This isn't a magic cure, but I have seen them really make a difference. I've used them for horses and dogs and shared their info with my friends who use them now too. It isn't cheap, about $1/day per supplement, but it is a low risk option to try in my opinion. I've treated cancer on my mares eyeball with them, low immune systems, West Nile, systemic infections, navicular, old stiff joints, etc.

They're worth some research if you're open to it. I've seen enough horses, dogs, and people positively helped by the herbs to be a firm believer in what they can do! Oh, and just last year our mare degloved her shoulder, tore through some muscles too, about 12" of stitches internally ans 18" externally. We put her on Inf-X and Immune Support, we used the antibiotics as well from the vet, she healed beautifully. She's a broodmare, and can still run just fine and has full range of motion.
I will definitely check that out. I do like using natural treatments when other things isn’t working so great. Even if I don’t end up going with that for this horse, I might consider it for my retired mare, who has fairly severe navicular and arthritis. As long as it can’t hurt, I think I’ll try almost anything, especially seeing as veterinary care isn’t the most sophisticated in my area.
I probably will wait for a little bit before trying anything else, mostly because I’m not really at a point where I can monitor the progress right now. Once I’m riding again, I will definitely take a look!
Thanks

I wonder if it may even be learned pain from his past
I agree with what everyone else has said about possible ulcer, getting a full vet workup, etc. But when you mentioned he was a driving horse in the past, I wonder if he came from the Amish community? Not that all Amish are the same, but some ear-twist their horses to control them (would explain poll and neck shyness, especially from the right) and reluctance to canter (getting punished for it in a team.)
He looks like you have him going lovely under saddle, I bet it won't be long before he embraces his future and forgets about whatever his past was. Beautiful boy!

Oh no, I'm so sorry, and hope your recovery goes well and you're back to good health soon. In the meantime, maybe it's the best thing for your beautiful horse, to just be turned out and have a let-down period of rest for now?

I agree with what everyone else has said about possible ulcer, getting a full vet workup, etc. But when you mentioned he was a driving horse in the past, I wonder if he came from the Amish community? Not that all Amish are the same, but some ear-twist their horses to control them (would explain poll and neck shyness, especially from the right) and reluctance to canter (getting punished for it in a team.)
He looks like you have him going lovely under saddle, I bet it won't be long before he embraces his future and forgets about whatever his past was. Beautiful boy!
Omg I never even thought of ear twisting! That makes a lot of sense actually, we could never determine if the pain was real or just expected. I do suspect past abuse, from his reaction to men and certain situations.
In the last month I have got some answers, and he is getting treatment for a severe vitamin E deficiency as well as hock injections. He’s expected to be back in work within the next few weeks! My sister has hopes of bringing him up to 2nd level showing this summer, which almost felt surreal to hear. I bought this guy as a confidence builder project, and he has exceeded every expectation. He might have some issues, but I can truly say this horse has been a joy to work with.

It’s been a long time, and I don’t know how many people are still interested, but I finally have an update!
So, good news first. Finally, finally, finally, he has a diagnosis! He has a severe vitamin E deficiency and arthritis in his hocks. His left hock was close to fusing, but with injections and maintenance he is expected to be able to continue with full work. I was a little disappointed by his previous veterinarian care, as I was told multiple times that he showed no signs of either vitamin deficiencies or arthritis. It’s still unclear if we have found all the problems, but for now he has a treatment plan. He will be showing locally this year, and hopefully moving forward with his education.
Now for the not-so-great news: I will not be the one riding or showing him for the time being. I have been struggling with a yet-to-be diagnosed health condition (suspected autoimmune disorder). Unfortunately, it is affecting a large part of my life and that includes riding. I can do light pleasure rides, but until I get a treatment plan and diagnosis I will be handing over the reins on my horses’s training to my sister, a good friend, and a local trainer. I trust all three with my life, so I have no doubts that they will continue his education with grace.
A family member is helping me care for my flock of chickens as well as other pets.
I cannot thank all of you guys enough. The advice, kind words, and comments have gone a long way towards helping me through this process. I have been so incredibly grateful to everyone involved in this, both online and in person. I bought this horse as a last resort during a rough patch in my life, after a bad fall and experience on a younger horse, and he has blown me away. There has been setbacks and issues for us both, but the lessons I have learned from this have been nothing but good. I don’t know if riding is in my future right now, but I do know that I am more proud of my horse than I can say, and a lot of where he is now is due to the kind and helpful people in this community. Thank you all.

Attachments

• 2C281EFC-3ECB-400B-A202-3AB21794084B.jpeg
    2C281EFC-3ECB-400B-A202-3AB21794084B.jpeg
    679.6 KB · Views: 6
  • F3B09B75-E0C1-455F-8645-05DBF079A4B0.jpeg
    F3B09B75-E0C1-455F-8645-05DBF079A4B0.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 6
  • 6EE1A05E-3AE0-404A-8E22-67C91CA09008.jpeg
    6EE1A05E-3AE0-404A-8E22-67C91CA09008.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 6
  • E62145D7-DFF4-4196-B4DA-0CBA4F6F746E.jpeg
    E62145D7-DFF4-4196-B4DA-0CBA4F6F746E.jpeg