Should I get chickens?

Thank you so much! I skimmed through it and immediately bookmarked it. It will be so helpful! Just a check though, when I first bring them into the open, whether it is a living room or a backyard, the article says they will stay close to me. Is this true? When I raised the quail, they would flee for the hills the second they get!
Here's an article you might find helpful

That sounds perfect! How many of your chickens stayed that sociable? Are they always excited to see you? If you wouldn't mind, can you walk me through a day in your chicken life? Sorry for the bother!
No bother😁. All the ones I kept were nice to me. I raised isa browns and silkies and they were all very sociable. Australorps and leghorns were not a good breed for that purpose. My isa's and silkies would come up to me and say hi, some would allow me to pick them up and pet them. They usually greet you if you go to their pen but that might be because they think you have treats🤣. So to sum it up they are more like what do you have than hi I love you. If you have ANY other questians please feel free to ask me👍😁
I hope I answered your questian clearly🤷‍♀️

Chickens are individuals. Some are more docile/friendly while some are more flighty. Some are more food motivated than others. Some are more dominant/aggressive than others. Breeds will have tendencies, but not all will follow the rule.

For example, I've had 3 Buff Orpingtons, generally a friendly breed, but one of mine is very flighty and doesn't like to be touched even though I've raised them all the same. The point is that you can get friendlier breeds, do a good job of raising them and you will still likely only have some that are really friendly.

Diapers and leashes are too much to ask of chickens. More realistic is:
  • They will run to you when you come out to check on them as they think you may have food.
  • Some of them will let you pet them.
  • A few of them will either jump in your lap when sitting near them or allow you to pick them up into your lap.
  • Watching their antics is one of the best part of keeping chickens. If one gets a big juicy bug, the others will chase her all around trying to steal it. Sometimes you may find two crammed into a favorite nest-box trying to lay eggs at the same time, etc.
Understand that chickens are flock animals. Keeping just one is cruel and it won't be happy. Three is a reasonable minimum.

when I first bring them into the open, whether it is a living room or a backyard, the article says they will stay close to me. Is this true?
Some chicks will probably be more inclined to stay close, others will wander as soon as permitted. Best to only allow them out in a secure, confined area to ensure that no one bolts and gets lost, until they're bigger and harder to lose track of.

Back
Top Bottom