Should I get my Guinea pig a friend?!

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Hi! I have a guinea pig named Oliver he seems very happy, and I spend lots of time with him each day! But I’m worried that he’s not has happy has I think! Should I get him a friend! I don’t have a very big cage because I can’t afford a bigger one? Is this ok if I take them out every day and let them play?
F61478B2-7FA4-43ED-A45D-32BFF601ABF9.jpeg

Female guinea pigs are typically animals that need a life partner, while males can be happier solitary. If he seems happy at the moment, I wouldn’t stress it. If he seems to be going downhill emotionally and a health issue is ruled out, I would definitely look into getting him a friend.

However they are very social animals, so a partner can be great in the long run:)

Guinea pigs are usually kept in pairs or groups. I have two guinea pigs who are always sleeping next to each other and messing around fighting over who gets the water bottle. However, if you are playing with him each day and he is nice and warm without a buddy to cuddle with, I think he should be fine. Adding different toys and stimulus to his cage would also be good to occupy him.

Back
Top Bottom