Should I give away my Rooster? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenniferC, Aug 27, 2008.

1. JenniferC

JenniferC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Hi all,

I need some advice,

One of our four chickens turned out to be a rooster. He's a beautiful light brahma. He is also ENORMOUS.

He hasn't started to crow yet- as they are all only about 5 months old. The thing is that we live inside seattle city limits and there is a three-hen, no rooster policy. What are the chances he won't ever start to cock-adoodle-doo?

There's also the fact that we had a house fire and I can't move my big coop to our rental home. I have a small temporary coop I could use till I convert the outdoor playhouse, but there's no way the big guy could use it. I don't think he could even stand in it anymore, much less perch. It would be tight for the girls, but flat out silly for him.

Anyway- I want to find out whether roosters are ever quite. We could just keep him for a while and see if he ends up being loud or not. Unfortunately that means the chickens need to be at the other house for a while.

It would certainly simplify my life to give him away- I could move the girls to our new place and not have to worry about eventual noise problems (or unexpected baby chicks), but I would be sad to see him go. ;-(

Please share- I'm really torn about this.

Jennifer

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Best of luck. I know of a few people who live down town Seattle who have managed to keep a pet rooster!

Yes, they will eventually crow if he is indeed a rooster. Any time now really. But if your neighbors are ok with it, you can get away with it. Some get away with it by putting him in the garage or inside where they don't crow or their sound is muffled.

Sorry about the fire.

Best of luck!

3. JenniferC

Apr 7, 2008
    The worst of it is that because of the fire our coop is out in the front yard right now! So if he started crowing it would be totally unmuffled. We don't have a garage at either house. I do have a person who is interested in adopting him, so that makes me feel better.

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't know, you and roo might be happier if he finds a nice home out in the country where he can crow to his heart's delight ~ and have a big ol' country harem of ladies.

Good luck!

5. JenniferC

Apr 7, 2008
    Yeah, the person looking to adopt him has an acre- which may not be much to you guys, but is enormous compared to our yard!

The adopter has 2 other roosters, though, so they may fight. However I would think that if there is enough space they would be OK.

What do y'all think?

6. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    If you're fond of him, better to give him away to someone you know wants him (not for dinner), then perhaps lose that chance and then have to give him away to the first person that will take him, and maybe eat him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by