Should I give my hen calcium citrate?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I noticed that one of my hen's eggshells seem thinner than when she first started laying in February. I picked up the egg in the picture yesterday and didn't notice anything strange but this morning, I saw a dent on the top. It's possible I overlooked it yesterday or somebody punctured it but I doubt anybody else touched it.

I've been reading on calcium citrate in this forum and I ordered some to have on hand (and for me too lol). I got the Solgar brand, Calcium citrate with Vitamin D3. If I were to give her this, how much should I give her?

Btw, I do leave out oyster shells and egg shells for them. I have noticed that it hasn't been touched as much as in the Spring/Summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20221106_091708332.jpg
    IMG_20221106_091708332.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20221106_091930443.jpg
    IMG_20221106_091930443.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 8
How old is the bird (if you can ID which one it is) - if it's a hen going into molt, that could affect egg quality regardless if she's getting enough calcium.

As far as the tablets, if this continues being an issue you can give one tablet a day until you see improvement. Depending on how she does she may continue to need supplementing, but you can experiment with that a bit later on.

How old is the bird (if you can ID which one it is) - if it's a hen going into molt, that could affect egg quality regardless if she's getting enough calcium.

As far as the tablets, if this continues being an issue you can give one tablet a day until you see improvement. Depending on how she does she may continue to need supplementing, but you can experiment with that a bit later on.
She's 1 year and 4 months old.

Oooh okay, I didn't realize molting could do that. I'll keep an eye on her eggs. Thanks!

Do you feed a layer type crumbled or pelleted feed?
Do you feed treats?
I give an all flock pellet feed because we have a rooster too. In the summer, we gave them a lot of watermelon peels but once the season is over, they haven't been getting too many treats. Just a little yogurt or pumpkin seeds here and there.

Back
Top Bottom