Should I give them a duckling to raise? Goosedragon? you out there?

ohiofarmgirl

Songster
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
Goosedragon? you out there?

here's one for you... it doesnt look like my older pair of geese are going to have a successful hatch this year. last year their only gosling died.

the pair are over by my momma 'scovy watching her babies... the geese did this last year when they lost their own baby. they are acting like they want one of the ducklings.

i keep wondering... should i give them a duckling to raise? they are really good parents and it would give them something to do (other than terrorize the chickens).

the gander isnt acting aggressive at all - in fact he seems a little subdued.

we cant know for sure, and it would be horrible if they killed the duckling.. but we keep wondering if we should try?

this momma duck probably wouldnt notice if the duckling was missing, and they geese are housed on the other side of the property from the ducks so he probably couldnt find his way back.

what do you think? if yes, should i sneak the duckling under the goose? or just put it over in their house just before nightfall?

thanks
:)

You know your geese, if you do give them a duckling, I would give them two.

My geese - I would never give them a duckling - they enjoy killing the ducklings and seem to be able to tell the difference between goslings/ducklings. Mine are great with goslings.

Quote:
If the geese had goslings, I would have given a different answer, geese wll take care of their own but if they have none are likely to adopt.

My embdens always act like they want to save anything that peeps. Luckily I have a couple of goslings they have taken over, we argue over whose babies they are (MINE!!), but they are taking care of them. But my goose has tried to attack me when I've had a screaming duckling in my hands, so I think they wouldn't mind a few ducks too. Guess I'll find out, the inside ducklings are just plain nasty, and will be getting kicked out very soon
big_smile.png

ducklingnapping

thanks! ducklingnapping is now OFFICIALLY my favorite word!

i've been hemming and hawing about it for days now and i knew i need to decide soon. my momma 'scovy isnt as smart as Miss Dash (who counts her eggs!) and i do keep them separated (thru several gates) so i dont think she would try and get them back.

but

just when i was about to do the ducklingnapping......Cindy Lou the goose sat down on a clutch! FINALLY! she and the older goose will certainly share the little ones (but not the nest, only one gal to a nest for sure!).

so i think i'm off the hook. i really think the older pair would take care of a couple of ducklings. i have the meanest gander ever but he gets all soft and non-confrontational when he's watching the baby ducks. that old galoot and i have gone round and round ...but i just love him.

anyway, i'm relieved i dont have to decide and can just count the days until Cindy's brood hatches. talk about coming in under the wire! i had to clean out her nest of the older eggs a week or so ago (a sad task indeed)... but i left a couple so i know the eggs are fresh.

THANKS for the tips and the insight into 'how to' - i know i can always count on your wisdom!
:)

Back
Top Bottom