Should I give up on my chicken?

Help, my hen is really really poorly! She was unwell about two weeks ago, lost interest in everything and puffed up and still. I gave her garlic in water, and apple cider vinegar also watered down and a little honey in water too. She seemed to pick up after a few days of this and even started eating a little corn and wet mashed up wheat grass, corn flour and porridge. But for the last two days she's gone downhill again. She's droopy and tired, sleeping all the time and very unstable, muscle loss and using her wings to support herself. My husband reckons we should cull her but I just wondered if anyone has any other advice before I let her go. It's so sad! She's a favourite and her mate is so concerned! Everyday I find her alive I am hopeful, I don't want to give up on her, she's a sparky little fighter. But its hard to watch her weaken day by day. What should I do?
I don't have advice on what to do for your sick girl as I don't have much experience with sick birds, but I just wanted to point out that if you do end up culling her, it's not you "giving up" on her. It's you making a decision that's in her best interest. Yes, a hard decision, but kinder in the end than having her suffer. I hope she gets better :hugs

Hi, thank you all for your suggestions. She is only 15 weeks old. She's been given Vermex on a monthly basis. She does not have any parasites, she bathes in DE Dust and also once a month is given the dose of red stop mite solution. She doesn't smell. She was on growers pellets but moving up to Layers now. She was living with 19 week bantams. She's a bantam too. The week she fell ill I lost one 4 week chick too. That was two weeks ago. So far all the rest seem okay. I've isolated her. I haven't checked her crop, to be honest I can't see her crop. I am pretty new to this chicken malarkey. The other bantams have obvious crops but she doesn't. She's skin and bone now and there doesn't seem to be any lumps other than bones to feel. I have also been feeding her scramble egg, but I haven't tried the millet yet and germ oil with oatmeal. I have put vitamins in her water. I am just giving her plain water with vitamins now to drink. She is eating a little bit, but not a lot. Thanks again for your advice.
I agree with what others are saying, although layer feed shouldn't be given until they are laying, or around 20 weeks old. Excess calcium can be hard on them, although I don't believe it should be causing this much trouble.

Last edited:
Update on my little brown hen. I didn't give up on her or cull her. She is putting weight back on and has a voracious appetite. Back on growers but still has a little egg mixed with seed. She has just started eating grass and leaf in very small amounts. She seems content but she still cannot walk. I'm giving this little bird a lot of care. She gets daily sand/dust baths, occasional butt shower under a tap, but just butt! She endures a little physio on those legs everyday. People think I am mad, but I carry her around some of the day in an apron like a baby sling. She is extremely affectionate now and the best news is that she is getting stronger. She flaps her wings and kicks her legs but she still has retarded toes. I'm hoping that she recovers her legs but as I am new to this chicken stuff I have no idea whether she will ever walk again? Does anyone know of any chickens that completely lost the use of their legs and started walking again? I spoke to the vet on the phone and he was quite grim, saying it was unlikely that she would walk again. The rest of the flock are still okay, and I am not sure if this is Mareks.

I fed my chicken vitamins and she eventually walked again, make sure you give your bird incentive to practice walking (hers were blueberries.) unfortunately after she got better she relapsed and died, hopefully that won't happen to your bird :)

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I have some great news. Tweety, (her name), is now standing, walking, running and mingling with the other birds! Her feet are functioning normally and her toes too. This bird was on death's doorstep, and even as she recovered her toes were so limp and awry I am surprised they are functioning normally now. So if anyone is in this position don't give up if you have the time to nurse the little bird. Shamefully I must confess I all but gave up on her and tearfully prayed for her because she was a real favourite with the children and a sweet little bird. After that she just kept getting better and better!

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I have some great news. Tweety, (her name), is now standing, walking, running and mingling with the other birds! Her feet are functioning normally and her toes too. This bird was on death's doorstep, and even as she recovered her toes were so limp and awry I am surprised they are functioning normally now. So if anyone is in this position don't give up if you have the time to nurse the little bird. Shamefully I must confess I all but gave up on her and tearfully prayed for her because she was a real favourite with the children and a sweet little bird. After that she just kept getting better and better!
I'm glad to hear this! I've seen over and over again in my life, prayer is a life changer and saver. 🤗❤️

Back
Top Bottom