Should I give up?

FluffyButtBabies

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
Virginia
I have a young silkie pullet, about three months old. A month ago she got pecked a little too hard in the head by one of the older hens and sustained a major concussion. She has been incapable of eating on her own ever since. I basically have to hold a dish up for her and jam her in a corner and sit for an hour at a time for her to get anything down. Her neck curls in involuntarily so she never manages to get anything unless I help her. Despite all the different feeders and angles I've tried, at the end of the day she's on empty. She keeps losing weight and is as heavy as paper. Because of my job I only have time to feed her once a day, which isn't nearly enough. I really love her, and I keep my birds as pets so I've never had to kill one of my own before. But at this point it seems like I have no other option. Is there anything left for me to do? I keep feeling guilty, like maybe another person might have the dedication to feed her better or that it's my fault she ended up like this. And if I DO cull her, I'll feel bad about that too. It's a lose lose situation here.

I have a young silkie pullet, about three months old. A month ago she got pecked a little too hard in the head by one of the older hens and sustained a major concussion. She has been incapable of eating on her own ever since. I basically have to hold a dish up for her and jam her in a corner and sit for an hour at a time for her to get anything down. Her neck curls in involuntarily so she never manages to get anything unless I help her. Despite all the different feeders and angles I've tried, at the end of the day she's on empty. She keeps losing weight and is as heavy as paper. Because of my job I only have time to feed her once a day, which isn't nearly enough. I really love her, and I keep my birds as pets so I've never had to kill one of my own before. But at this point it seems like I have no other option. Is there anything left for me to do? I keep feeling guilty, like maybe another person might have the dedication to feed her better or that it's my fault she ended up like this. And if I DO cull her, I'll feel bad about that too. It's a lose lose situation here.
I am so sorry! Silkies have a vaulted skull, so thats important to remember. It sounds like theres not much more you can do though...

@Wyorp Rock

I’m so sorry, that is one of the most difficult decisions a chicken owner ever has to make. And it definitely makes it harder when they are younger. If her quality of life is poor, it’s best to let her go. The best love , is to not let her suffer.

I'm sorry about your pullet.

If she's suffering then it may be time to let her go. Unfortunately not all birds can be saved or even recover from injury.

Back
Top Bottom