Should I hatch my eggs?

Taylor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
one of my campbell hens have started laying an egg a day and i think they may be fertile because he is mating her. its the middle of december, should i try and hatch them? and is this normal for a young duck hen to start laying in the middle of winter? they have not had artificial light or nothing. just been fed daily, will she still lay next year??

Quote:
You could try if you want ducklings in the middle of winter. And yes, she will still lay in spring.

You should wait til her egg laying system evens itself out before you hatch them. This is her first time laying, correct? If so the eggs are usually very small at first. I'd say wait a while. Just because she's laying them doesn't mean you HAVE to hatch them. Do you want to keep the ducklings? Ever brooded them in winter before? Temps, weather, and power outages all play a big part. Not many people want to care for ducklings over winter, so if you don't want to keep them you might have a little harder time finding someone to take them too.
And yes, you can hatch them, but right now its the equivalent of hatching pullet eggs.

hatching pullet eggs.

You do know that a pullet is a duck or chicken (or any female bird) is one that hasnt started laying yet right?​

DUCKGIRL89 - I just had this conversation w/a friend of mine becasue I was talking about my pullet eggs. I've found the term "pullet" varies depending on who you talk to but this is how I use the definition.

From the dictionary:
pul·let (plt)
n.
A young domestic hen, usually one that is less than one year old.

The BYC Glossary says:
Pullet. A female chicken under 1 year old.

If you're ready for ducklings go ahead and hatch them out! If your not ready to brood them don't hatch them out.

My birds just started laying their (first) eggs about 3 or 4 weeks ago...I put 10 eggs in from them and they are due to hatch on January 3rd. They are all growing extremely well
smile.png
So yes your ducks eggs are viable and you can hatch them out, just make sure you are ready to brood the babies once they hatch
smile.png
good luck if you do!

Quote:
I have never heard of ducks, quail, guineas, geese or anything else being called pullets. I have chickens, ducks, and some week old quail.. Please someone correct me if I am wrong and have just overlooked this for a few years.

Quote:
I agree with both definitions.
smile.png

A pullet to me is a female chicken under 1 year. A hen is a chicken over 1 year. And from what I've read a female duck is called a duck, not a hen.
idunno.gif

ETA: Pullets do lay eggs. And OP Sorry for straying off topic!

Last edited:
Stop and think if you really want to go through the hassle of providing supplemental heat for ducklings until next spring. If you are up to the task then go for it. If not wait until spring - yes she will lay then. I have never found the 'pullet egg' thing to hold true for ducks.

Back
Top Bottom