should I have a standard and bantam pen?

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
I currently have 4 standard hens; an EE (5 years old), a Production Red(1 year old), an RIR (4 months old), and a BO (4 months old). I also have three bantams; a BTW Jap. Bantam (1 year old, a Bantam Cochin (1 year old), and an OEG bantam rooster (1 year old). I REALLY want fertile eggs to hatch in the bator and for my broodies, but the only hen I get fertile eggs from is my Japanese Bantam (I don't know why my Cochin's eggs aren't fertile). I would like to get fertile eggs from my standard hens, but I am worried a standard roo would kill or injure my bantam roo. I am considering splitting their shelter in half and putting another cage on the opposite side. That way I could separate the standards and bantams and avoid roosters fighting and large hens bullying bantam hens. I am wondering if this is really nescecary, or if the two roos can coexist in the same cage. Thanks!
big_smile.png

My standards and bantams share the same coop. For some odd reason my lil cochin banty hens love my big Marans roo and will squat for him if he walks by. All but a few of my roos get along, one of the cochins and the silkie have some issues with a few others.

Usually in the coop if I'm not collecting eggs I have 2 marans and 2-3 cochin roos in there, the rest (4 or 5) live together peaceably w/o girls in the garage. When I want to collect eggs I separate the ones I want to collect from, or if the girls are getting ragged I kick out all but one or two roos.

All depends on the individual bird.

Wow, you sound like you have a LOT of roosters! I am still worried though. My roo is my baby, I would hate for his hens to be ''stolen'' by a larger roo.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom