Should I have an all drake flock or add female ducks?

Hi everyone! I sadly lost a drake swedish blue duck yesterday and now my other duck is all alone (with the exception of our chickens). The two drakes were raised together and bonded so I want to add more ducks to the flock for his benefit. Duck eggs would be nice but safety is my primary concern.
Currently, we have 4 female chickens and one male Pekin duck that live peacefully together in a large coop/run plus free range during the day. I am wondering if I should add 3-4 females or and have a mixed-gender duck flock or if it is better to just add 1-2 drakes for company.

Thank you!
i agree with others that females are a better bet. the reason your pekin likely doesn’t mate with the chicken hens could be due to age, (sexual maturity) or because they were simply all raised together. i had two pekins that were very sweet and friendly and never faught one was disabled and his brother loved him dearly even when there was a female to mate with or fight for.. and none cared to mate with the chickens either. so raising conditions play a roll. bringing new birds into the flock also should be done properly so nobody gets injured.. you don’t necessarily need 4 females if you just have the one drake but more is better.

Back
Top Bottom