Should I have an all drake flock or add female ducks?

Franniesh

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2023
Hi everyone! I sadly lost a drake swedish blue duck yesterday and now my other duck is all alone (with the exception of our chickens). The two drakes were raised together and bonded so I want to add more ducks to the flock for his benefit. Duck eggs would be nice but safety is my primary concern.
Currently, we have 4 female chickens and one male Pekin duck that live peacefully together in a large coop/run plus free range during the day. I am wondering if I should add 3-4 females or and have a mixed-gender duck flock or if it is better to just add 1-2 drakes for company.

Thank you!

Thank you all for the feedback! We raised our ducks with the chickens and haven’t had an issue but I hadn’t considered new drakes might mate the chickens! Good point! I will opt to add some 3-4 female ducks.

I’ve read sometimes the drake needs to be seperated. I’m hoping he can live with everyone else. Has anyone had issues with the drake living with the females?

Thank you all for the feedback! We raised our ducks with the chickens and haven’t had an issue but I hadn’t considered new drakes might mate the chickens! Good point! I will opt to add some 3-4 female ducks.

I’ve read sometimes the drake needs to be seperated. I’m hoping he can live with everyone else. Has anyone had issues with the drake living with the females?

I have problems with my drake all the time. He has a kennel and a pen for time out. If I had the land to free range, it would probably be a lot better. I have a drake, 9 ducks, and 3 teenagers. The drake is a real jerk.

I had a drake that had 11 hens but only liked one. He would make her head bleed so I had to let him go down the road as it broke my heart to constantly have him in drake jail. Sometimes you can have plenty of hens but they will only favor one and abuse her. Good luck with your decision on what to do in the future with your flock.

My drake is a really lovely boy, and I don’t have problems with him over-mating my 3 females or with aggression. But I think it is just depends On the drakes personality.
this is him! 💗

Attachments

• 0852420E-C518-4F60-910C-967D93746C41.jpeg
    0852420E-C518-4F60-910C-967D93746C41.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 5175090F-4C02-4877-9D86-AB2F7F397937.jpeg
    5175090F-4C02-4877-9D86-AB2F7F397937.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 8
My drake is a really lovely boy, and I don’t have problems with him over-mating my 3 females or with aggression. But I think it is just depends On the drakes personality.
this is him! 💗
He is beautiful and you are so right, personalities do have a lot to do with their habits. Mine was so friendly and never once tried to attack me which was why I hated to get rid of him. He just attacked everything that had flippers for feet instead, trying to mate them. I am glad that you have such a nice one to deal with that way. Mine was young too, only about a year old so maybe that was part of the problem.

He is beautiful and you are so right, personalities do have a lot to do with their habits. Mine was so friendly and never once tried to attack me which was why I hated to get rid of him. He just attacked everything that had flippers for feet instead, trying to mate them. I am glad that you have such a nice one to deal with that way. Mine was young too, only about a year old so maybe that was part of the problem.
my drake is only 11 months : ). Although he is lovely with the girls he is a bit timid around humans and try's to run away from me, I would love if he was a bit more confidant like my girls are :D.

Back
Top Bottom