Should I have water and feed in the coop? Pro's & Con's

I keep feed and water in the coop because:
-My run is not weather proof, nor totally predator proof.
-We get some wicked weather, wild wind and feet of snow, there can be days on end that they don't spend much time outside.
-I use early morning supplemental lighting and they need to eat and drink way before they could go outside.
-Easier, and safer, for powering heated waterer.
-Feed is stored inside large shed that houses coop, so it's just easier for me the keeper.

Do not forget to make your coop easily accessible for you the keeper as well as for what the birds need.

Spill proof feeder keeps rodents at bay, as well as always set snap traps.
Horizontal Nipple waterer just about eliminates spills and evaporation issues.
@aart I’m about to move to nipple waterers. I still change out waters for 100 birds every day. :oops:

How young do they use them and how long has transition taken for you, can you remember when you started using it?

@aart I’m about to move to nipple waterers. I still change out waters for 100 birds every day. :oops:

How young do they use them and how long has transition taken for you, can you remember when you started using it?
I know you asked aart, but I'll answer, too. I start chicks at about 2 1/2 weeks. They take to it very quickly. A red laser pointer can help get them interested in them or even just using your finger on the nipple often works. Once one of them starts using them they all quickly follow suit. I've also transitioned 2 year old birds to them the same way. Keep a separate source of water nearby until you're sure one or two are using the nipples and then remove it completely. They catch on quickly.

I have the HN's available to chicks right off the bat, but they really aren't strong enough to depress the pin until a couple weeks old.

I've had all age birds either pick it right up within an hour...and others that take weeks to really figure it out.

Here's my thoughts on 'nipple training'.
First, it's good to know how much water your flock consumes 'normally', I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink.

-Show them how with your finger(tho that might just train them to wait for your finger), and/or manually grab them and push their head/beak onto the trigger(easier with chicks than adults).

-No other water source, best to 'train' during mild weather when dehydration is less of an immediate health risk. I do provide an open waterer late in day to make sure they don't go to roost dehydrated, especially young chicks.

It can take days or weeks to get them fully switched over, just takes observation, consistency, and patience.

I have the HN's available to chicks right off the bat, but they really aren't strong enough to depress the pin until a couple weeks old.

I've had all age birds either pick it right up within an hour...and others that take weeks to really figure it out.

Here's my thoughts on 'nipple training'.
First, it's good to know how much water your flock consumes 'normally', I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink.

-Show them how with your finger(tho that might just train them to wait for your finger), and/or manually grab them and push their head/beak onto the trigger(easier with chicks than adults).

-No other water source, best to 'train' during mild weather when dehydration is less of an immediate health risk. I do provide an open waterer late in day to make sure they don't go to roost dehydrated, especially young chicks.

It can take days or weeks to get them fully switched over, just takes observation, consistency, and patience.
Thank you both!!! Really looking forward to a new system.

Should I have the feed and water in the coop or the run. What is the best?

As you can see we all do it differently for different reasons. There are good reasons already given. That's pretty normal on here, there are always different ways to do anything.

I choose to feed and water both inside and out, three different feeding stations and four different watering stations most of the time unless I have more. I'm flexible to match changing conditions so sometimes I add more.

Most of the time I have juveniles in the flock, different feeding and watering stations widely separated help with that integration. Some mornings I may not get down there until after 9:00 to let them out, they have food and water inside. The more they are outside the coop the less they poop in the coop so I have less coop poop to deal with. With my weather they can be outside some practically every day of the year. I can keep the feed dry outside but generally let each feeder run empty every day, two at most, to keep feed fresh. I'm set up so it is not hard to do.

In winter I use black rubber bowls to water. If the water freezes I just knock it out and refill. The black rubber will not break. If I set that black waterer in the sun the solar heat keeps it thawed fairly well, usually down into the teens Fahrenheit. In the summer I use white bowls in the shade.

Your conditions in Idaho will be different from mine. My main suggestion is to try to make it convenient for you and take into consideration your local conditions.

Good luck!

I am designing my new coop & run build for this spring. It will be a 6x6 coop with a 12x20 run attached. Should I have the feed and water in the coop or the run. What is the best? I tend to lean towards the coop being just for roosting with no water or feed. What are your thoughts? Thanks

I will add that my 12X20 run will be completely covered and predator proof.

I feel that chickens should have access to water and feed the entire time they are awake. This means that putting it in the coop always works.

Putting it in the run works if they have 24/7 access to the run, or if you open/close a pop door on the right schedule (before they wake up, after they go to sleep.)

If your run is predator proof and covered, and if the chickens always have access to it, then I'd personally consider it part of the coop--a very well-ventilated part! And I'd probably put the feed and water there.

For winter, of course you should plan on either providing fresh water several times a day (starting just as early as the chickens wake up!), or having a heated water source.

I am designing my new coop & run build for this spring. It will be a 6x6 coop with a 12x20 run attached. Should I have the feed and water in the coop or the run. What is the best? I tend to lean towards the coop being just for roosting with no water or feed. What are your thoughts? Thanks

In the spring, summer and fall, I have food and water in the run only. In the winter, I have food in the run, and food and water inside the coop. The reason I do this is because my silkies will not go outside in the snow. If you are going to keep water inside in the winter, make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

I only have 20 birds, I don't know how many you have. I made this no-waste feeder and keep it in the coop. Water is in a heated bucket in the run this time of yea . We open them up at daylight and close them up at dusk, when they put themselves to bed.

My advice, as you are designing your coop, is to leave plenty of room for feed and water in case circumstances or conditions require you to put them there. And if not, you will still have plenty of room to maneuver at night if you have to go out to count your chickens, check them for lice or mites or feel their crops, or treat them for any problems. Trust me, you'll be glad for it.

Back
Top Bottom