Should I help hatching? 24 hours

jcn143

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Florida
This egg started hatching 24 hours ago.
20190604_191348.jpg

It has not progressed much at all since then. The chick is chirping and I can see it breathing through the hole. I had to move the hen because rooster or other hens are killing the chicks. We've already lost five hatchling. Bad experience so far. I've had chickens for years but this it the first time we've let them hatch. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Hate to lose another one.

start with small pieces of shell. slowly pick off pieces, then leave the chick to hatch on it's own. if it still doesn't make progress, remove more. if there's blood, that means that the chick is not yet done absorbing it. If you see blood, DO NOT KEEP ASSISTING! leave him be until he has time to absorb it. keep that membrane moist with vaseline.

Thanks! I read some of the information you shared.

I feel like the chick is at the wrong end so I got them impression it has to have help. Thank you for the article and info. I'm gonna let it go a couple more hours and check again. According to everything I've read it still has some time. It's so hard to tell. The membrane I can see looks a little yellow on the edges but white toward the shell. If there is no progress soon, I'll help it. :fl

I waited three more hours and nothing changed. I opened the hole and the membrane looks like paper. I feel like its dried out so in the picture it looks most because it has vaseline on it. The membrane instantly soaked it up. However, I hit a spot with a very slight amount of blood. I'm stopping for now. So sweet, the chick chomped down on a tiny speck of shell. I am waiting for a little while to give her a break. I dont have an incubator because they are all out with the momma hens. I'm trying to find a way to keep her moist and warm for the night. I'm too afraid to out her back in the nest. Hoping she makes it!

Attachments

• 2019-06-04 23.42.01.jpg
    2019-06-04 23.42.01.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 5
She made it! Yay! My guess was right or she was just that ready. I put her in the box and within 3 hours she was completely hatched! Now to figure out what to do with her/him. Intended to have them stay with momma but after the last five being killed worried about putting her back. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom