Should I help my pipped egg

derricknapril

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Oxford, GA
Today is day 23 I have 11 eggs in hatcher I was about to give up and then woke up this morning and I have one pipped. It was chirping for a while but haven't heard anything in about an hour. It is now after 3 pm and I noticed the pip about 8 this morning. Should I help him, will it affect the other eggs if I open the bator? If so what do I need to do? Thanks

If the incubator temp was on the lower side it can cause a later hatch. If you open the bator, looseing humidity, it could be harder on the others. After saying that, if you are like me, sometimes you just have to know and try to help. If I think mine are in real trouble, I bite the bullet and quickly throw a wet sponge in the bator and quickly grab the egg. I have to tell myself it they weren't strong enough to come out on their own, they aren't strong enough to survive, but I have two hens that I helped, and they are strong and healthy today. Good luck.

He is still chirping alot now and has chipped more of the shell. Should I just keep watching. I dont want to harm the others at all. Thanks

I only help when I have lost all hope that it will make it out. I figure I have nothing else to lose.....I might kill it or it might die from exhaustion or whatever else it may die of. I see a few dead chicks like that, but I have also helped a few. Its a tough call. Still I prefer it to come out on its own, if at all possible. I have much better luck when I let a hen do the incubating for me. Good luck.

Thats what I am doing biting my nails but bit by little bit he is chipping away the shell hopefully by morning.Thanks for all your support!

It just hatched, is it good that he is flopping all of the bator and knocking into the other eggs? This is so awesome. I had no idea!
big_smile.png

Ok, so today is going on day 24. Juts one out of the 11 hatched the others have done nothing other than been kicked around by the little guy, would it be safe to say they aren't going to hatch? Or should I give them a little longer before I get him out? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom