should i help this chicken hatch?

lfrye11

Chirping
Feb 3, 2018
Nicholasville, Kentucky
0D464C21-96C0-4209-832F-D44E31000EBF.jpeg
its been about 18 hours and this chick has not had much progress. he’s gone from a little pip in the egg to where he is now in this time. three others have hatched and seem healthy (today is 21). i can see him moving and that he tries to break the egg, but he doesn’t use much effort like the others have. i’m not sure if i should help him a little before its too late.

I always help because I figure it's probably something I've messed up with the incubator or in how I've handled the eggs that's caused the chick to get into the wrong position.

what would be the first step?

Peel back the shell around the opening just to double check there are no veins still with blood in them in the membrane - there shouldn't be if he's trying to get out. Then peel back the membrane carefully and he'll probably start trying to push out if he's not too exhausted.

The vast majority have lived (but I hatch quail who can be delicate babies anyway).

it seems like one of his feet is curled up. he may be stretching it out, but he is wobbling around in the incubator trying to walk on it. is this a problem? i may be being overly cautious, but i want him to be ok!

it seems like one of his feet is curled up. he may be stretching it out, but he is wobbling around in the incubator trying to walk on it. is this a problem? i may be being overly cautious, but i want him to be ok!

If it is it's very quick and easy to fix if necessary. That's possibly what caused your little one to get stuck if its foot was squished up and it couldn't use it to rotate itself in the egg. Here's a website explaining what to do:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-toes-are-all-curled-up-whats-wrong-H293.aspx

Back
Top Bottom