Should I help this hatching chick?

MomsterT

Chirping
Aug 21, 2019
21 days of incubating was on Monday. 1 hatched. Tuesday the second hatched. Today (after canceling the non moving non pip egg left) it pipped early this am around 6 am. It's not 10 pm and the hole it has made is a little bigger, but not unzipping. It pushed so hard somewhere that half of the egg cracked down the size, but no liquid is leaking. It looks like it's trying to push its entire head thru that hole instead of unzip. The membrane appears yellowish. My other eggs did not take this long. And my concern is that its sitting with its beak outside of the pip (large enough to move in and out) but just laying there. It's not as loud as the others were. But both of the other eggs were so different from each other, I'm not sure what to expect.

Attachments

• 1567044279553832887902051519318.jpg
    1567044279553832887902051519318.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 9
I would help it, but chip away very carefully around the egg (in the natural unzipping direction). I’ve had to help chicks out in the past (including turkey chicks), and if they sit in the egg too long under the heat (if there isn’t much humidity) the membrane can become glued to them. Then you have to get it damp and carefully peel it off (which could cause more stress).

So, just go slowly, using your fingernail to chip away the outer shell in little pieces. If need be, you can then CAREFULLY slice a bit of the membrane where you made the chipped away shell trail (I used my Swiss Army knife scissors). Since the little one is trying to get out, he or she would be breaking through the membrane anyway (this is what I tell myself when I have to help them).

Try chipping away a little and see if that gives the baby enough help to get out. Just keep an eye on him/her. This spring I had to help a young turkey out of the egg. Pretty much chipped around the whole circumference for him/her because it’s sibling was the one to get the membrane glued to its head (and over one eye!) and I did not want that to happen to this one (and they were a classroom hatching project and would be alone in the brooder overnight and I wanted to make sure this one didn’t get stuck in the egg all night).

Anyhoo, good luck and just remember that although helping the little has its risks, it definitely won’t make it if it can get out of that egg.

I removed a small section of the shell and the chick seems to be wiggling a little more. But has not changed positions. I maintained a humidity if 78 while working and closed incubator without humidity dripping below 64. It appears to have maybe been trying to unzip in a line from middle to bottom of egg instead of in a circle. My nerves are completely shot working if I did too much, or not enough. Being an over thinker is an curse sometimes!
20190829_001559.jpg

I removed a small section of the shell and the chick seems to be wiggling a little more. But has not changed positions. I maintained a humidity if 78 while working and closed incubator without humidity dripping below 64. It appears to have maybe been trying to unzip in a line from middle to bottom of egg instead of in a circle. My nerves are completely shot working if I did too much, or not enough. Being an over thinker is an curse sometimes! View attachment 1891917

I feel ya! I've got the pecking order business starting up in my coop right now with my June babies (and a single Guinea fowl keet who is being a little hyper and peck-happy with the pullets when I go in there), so naturally I assume everyone is going to murder each other while I'm at work :barnie, so I know what you mean ;).

But your little in the egg looks okay - I don't see huge spots of blood or anything and it's okay to leave them alone for a while and let them rest. He/she is only a baby, after all, and it's hard work hatching out! In an hour or so if there is no progress, you can try carefully tearing the membrane. They just need to be able to push through that door they (in this case, you) made so they can get out of that cramped shell! Keeping my fingers crossed this little guy makes it out safely, with or without more help from his/her human Momma Chicken :wee.

Thank you so much for the support and advice! It really helps more than you know!

I just hope I don't lead you astray! The incubator doesn't have a USB type plug by any chance, does it? I could see myself plugging it into one of those rechargeable power storage units you can use to recharge your phone when an outlet isn't available :clap. Good luck and hopefully the little guys stay warm enough until the power comes back on!

Back
Top Bottom