Should I insist they use their coop?

Claire A

Songster
Oct 2, 2019
It all started when my head lady Violet went broody. I put her in a wire cage to bring her out of it.
One of the others (Rose) decided to sleep ontop of their apex coop roof to be next to her. The coop isn't very high and the raised cage sits level to the roof. The next night another joined her - then another.

They are in a giant run 20x8 so with the temperatures soaring wasn't shutting them in at night. That area has a frame to keep some rain off but the wind could blow it at them.

I thought once Violet was released from her prison I could get them back in the coop. They are not having it! I even put a plank of wood to stop them.

They decided to roost on an apex cage instead - the one in the pic below. At least this area is rain and windproof.

Do you think it is the apex they like?

Is it okay to leave them as it is summer and just insist as the weather turns and I start shutting them in?
20200610_201816.jpg

The cage at the back isn't their coop - but the place they have decided they like to lay their eggs - I am getting the feeling they do not like their coop much :(

Last edited:
Where IS the coop? Also if temperatures are soaring, why is the whole area wrapped in plastic? It must be like a greenhouse in there.

If they're not using the coop but you want them to use it, you need to realistically assess if the layout, size, ventilation, light etc are all good in the coop for the number of birds and your climate.

Where IS the coop? Also if temperatures are soaring, why is the whole area wrapped in plastic? It must be like a greenhouse in there.

If they're not using the coop but you want them to use it, you need to realistically assess if the layout, size, ventilation, light etc are all good in the coop for the number of birds and your climate.
I am in the UK so lots of rain - the covered bit you see is just a small bit of the run. The open area is 3x this size. Right now this week it is actually rainy and cold enough to need a coat. It was in the 20s last week when the hen went broody.

I put the plastic up over winter and they seem to like an area away from the elements. The coop is in the main area. The whole run is between 3 walls so plenty of shade.

Chickens like to sleep up off the ground. It makes them feel safe. I wonder if that is why they are not sleeping in the coop now that they have a higher option.

You could be right. I took a picture of the actual coop. It is one I brought that said it was okay for four bantams. But have been unhappy with it since I put it up. Not the best picture - it is raining cats and dogs right now.
20200611_095600.jpg

Added a picture of the coop. My original idea had been to give them the whole run of the garden. Unfortunately, some cats in the area thought my bantams looked like tasty snacks. I can only let them out when I am there - but I wanted a big area for them to play in. Lots of branches and things.
I do think you are correct - the coop is not adequate which is a shame. I think they want somewhere higher to roost.

Added a picture of the coop. My original idea had been to give them the whole run of the garden. Unfortunately, some cats in the area thought my bantams looked like tasty snacks. I can only let them out when I am there - but I wanted a big area for them to play in. Lots of branches and things.
I do think you are correct - the coop is not adequate which is a shame. I think they want somewhere higher to roost.

You could make a raised platform for the coop and attach the coop on top? (like a table for the coop to sit on top, but make sure to screw it securely together)

Mine is on stilts so that they feel like their roosting up high.

You could make a raised platform for the coop and attach the coop on top? (like a table for the coop to sit on top, but make sure to screw it securely together)

Mine is on stilts so that they feel like their roosting up high.
Fantastic idea - thank you :) As soon as the rain lets up I am going to do just that.

Back
Top Bottom