Should i introduce 2 new chicks to hen with her 2, 5day old chicks?

puisheb

Chirping
Dec 28, 2020
Nunn, Colorado
I have an orpington hen who just hatched 2 of the 8 eggs she was sitting on. As I would like a few more chickens, is it reasonable to purchase 2 chicks and put them in with her and her chicks? Is it likely she will adopt them since they are nearly as young as her chicks? Or is Is this a recipe for disaster?

I just did this last night I purchased chicks that are as close in size as I could find and I put them under her during the night. However, my girl had three eggs that hadn't hatched still in the nest and her chicks were only 48 hours old. I got rid of the eggs and tucked the babies under her when she was sleeping. She looked more than a little confused this morning as all the babies were popping out from under her wings but she accepted them with no problem.

You can try but be prepared to brood the purchased chicks yourself.

You just never know how a broody will react. If she's already off the nest with her own chicks, then the chance of her accepting other chicks is, imho, low.
Thank you for the advice! That's my husband's opinion too. I was hoping she'd be receptive to 2 more little ones. 😔

I just did this last night I purchased chicks that are as close in size as I could find and I put them under her during the night. However, my girl had three eggs that hadn't hatched still in the nest and her chicks were only 48 hours old. I got rid of the eggs and tucked the babies under her when she was sleeping. She looked more than a little confused this morning as all the babies were popping out from under her wings but she accepted them with no problem.
Hmmmm! A possible nighttime slip?! I admit that now I am worried about doing this since she hatched them on Friday. I am very happy to hear that your girls took to them so quickly! Albeit a little confused how they magically appeared! 😉🤣

Back
Top Bottom