Should I just keep the heat lamp off?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sowatee, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Sowatee

Sowatee New Egg

Mar 23, 2017
    I have 7 1 1/2-2 week old chicks and 1 week old chick. They never use the heat lamp. I've checked proper temps and everything, even going down to <90 and they won't use it. They all stay huddled together on the cool side. I've adjusted it so many times and I'm not sure what to do. Granted it's a little cramped (brooder too small for the size flock) and I'm going to be building a coop and moving them outside (not yet). Temps are steadily rising (CV California) and are expected to reach the 80's very soon.

For right now I just turned off the heat lamp a few minutes ago. House temp is at 75. Outside at 55. No wind or draft, etc. 8 of them are in a large plastic tub. Those ones everyone sends clothes in. I realize now I was an idiot (I forgot that they grow) as it's way too small for that number (it should house at most 3). I was planning on building their coops this Friday, leaving them all in one until they get bigger to be separated.

Will they be fine? They were loud for a moment (never slept in dark), but they're all quiet and content right now.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd imagine that they are fine. They would be chirping if they were cold.

3. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Just keep a close eye on them. The temperature was probably too hot for them if they all huddled in the cooler areas.

4. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe you can switch to the MHP method rather than the heat lamp? You can use it out in the coop too, supposing you have power out there.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Can you move them to a larger enclosure? I saw some folks were using cardboard wardrobe boxes. That would give them a lot more room to flap around. Building always takes longer than you expect so an interim solution would take a bit of pressure off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by